Weekend Workaround in Gantt Charts?

Options

Hi Team,

Has anyone found a workaround for not being able to pull dependancies from a separate sheet? I have projects running where some tasks are "in office" (5 day work week) and some tasks are "in field" (7 day work week). Gantt settings only permits setting work weeks for an entire sheet, so I have pulled those two types of tasks into two separate sheets.

The problem is that these tasks need to link dependancies. We can't start some tasks in the field until the office work is complete. My theories of solution are:

-An automation to push over the Office Sheet completion line to the field sheet.

-Add a column to the Field Sheet that references the Office sheet.

-Put all dates in a 7 day schedule and add in dummy weekends.

Thank you all for the collaboration.

Tags:

Answers

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Jeremy

There is an inbuilt solution to this without the need for splitting across 2 sheets.

If you have a Gannt with some tasks needing to observe the working week settings and some tasks that need to ignore the working week setting, then on the tasks to ignore the working week, put an "e" in front of your duration data.

i,e, 7 in duration on a 5 day week will normally put 5 days in week one then 2 days in week 2 with the weekend being missed.

but e7 in duration will put all 7 days in week 1 i.e. it will plot on your non working days.

The feature is called elapsed time.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards

Debbie

• Jeremy Jason
    Options

That is so helpful! Doesn't allow for complex scheduling (different holidays on job sites in different countries), but solves the majority of my issues. Thank you so much!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!