Links In Smartsheet Form Not Opening In New Tab

I have a bunch of links embedded in my form. When a user clicks on one of them, it opens in the same tab, negating any progress they made on the form. I looked up some solutions (putting '?&target=_blank' at the end of each link), and everything worked fine.

However, after saving and refreshing the sheet/form, the links started to open on the same tab again, even with the '?&target=_blank' remaining at the end of the links. I'm not sure why the links are reverting back to opening on the same tab.

Has anybody else experienced this before?

Tags:

Answers

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is strange.

Do you think it might be browser specific? I have just popped a URL into the Description of a Header field in a form. No extra code on the end.

When I use the form and click on the URL it opens in a new tab automatically.

I can also right click on the URL and select Open in New Tab too.

I am using Chrome as my browser. Have you tested in a different browser at all?

Kind regards

Debbie

• @Debbie Sawyer I tried in both Chrome and Edge. I had the same issue in both browsers. I did notice that when I open up the Smartsheet, the 'Save' icon is un-greyed, as if I made a change to the sheet and didn't save it. The same thing occurs when I try to open the form; it asks me to save the form before it can open:

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Benjamin O'Leary

hmmm yes, to have to save before opening the form is normal behaviour when opening it through the design screen (even if you don't make any changes). I wouldn't worry about that too much.

If you send me your email address I can share you to a dummy form and we can see how my form works from your Smartsheet?

My email address is debbie.sawyer@smarterbusinessprocesses.com

I assume you have tried the middle mouse click, and the right click (Open in new tab option) and the windows + click methods too?

I do think this is a local IT issue rather than a Smartsheet issue...But I am happy to be overruled by someone else on this community!

Reach out if you want to test this out with me?

Kind regards

Debbie

• Sure, my email is benjamin.oleary@contractors.roche.com

• Do I need to use the '?&target=_blank' in HTML? Because I don't know how to edit the HTML of the Smartsheet form.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 02/09/24

Hi all,

Hopping in here to let you know there's been an update to the way hyperlinks work in forms!

It won't happen automatically for your current links, you'll need to re-add them for the links to open in a new tab. Here's more information:

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now