Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Make fields required in update request workflows

Options
manjalteng
manjalteng ✭✭

When creating an automation workflow from scratch, where we request an update, is there any way we can make the fields that they have to fill out required? What we noticed when we did this was that multiple people were not completing all the information we needed them to, so when we would see what was updated in the Smartsheet and what was not, we would have to go back and follow up with them directly since something was missed. I know that you can make forms in Smartsheet and make what you want required, so I think this would be helpful when adding automation.

52 votes

On Wishlist · Last Updated

This is a good idea. While it's not a part of our current plan, this is exactly the kind of thing our team is thinking about every day. If we believe we can make this idea a reality, we'll plan to update the status here.

Comments

• del314
    del314 ✭✭
    Options

I totally agree this feature is very much needed;

The alternative would be to connect forms and automation. That way we trigger a form to be sent upon a condition being fulfilled.

I have created an automation whereby the condition triggering the next step is the last field being filled (thinking I was smart and people would fill it all the way down) except so many people don't realize they have to scroll down when filling in an update and therefore the next step doesn't get triggered.

• DanielleM
    DanielleM ✭✭
    edited 02/02/23
    Options

100% agree that this is needed. We are in the process of building out a massive workflow process that involves moving rows between 15 different sheets, many of those sheets having different owners and different requirements. Unless we create workflows with some pretty complex conditions and additional workflows within each sheet, users can send rows to other sheets without filling out their "required" fields.

I had not thought of connecting forms and automation - and I got very excited as I read that - but I'm not sure that would work in our situation. We need the same rows to be updated as they move from sheet to sheet, so since form entries add rows to their sheet, I don't think that'd work for us.

• Katy H
    Katy H ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This would be a huge improvement!

Katy Hall

Head of Product Management

ILLA Canna

LinkedIn

• Ann.bastin_410
    Ann.bastin_410 ✭✭
    Options

Has this been submitted as an enhancement?

• Michael Hatchell
    Michael Hatchell ✭✭
    edited 07/13/23
    Options

I would like to suggest the option to make certain fields required to be updated before completing an update request to a sheet. Currently, you can make certain fields visible but they are able to submit the update request without making any changes, which is counter to what is needing to happen.

• peeryd
    peeryd ✭✭
    edited 07/25/23
    Options

It would nice to be able to set a field to be required in fields made in automation workflows. It would make it easier to ensure that the information needed is all getting filled out. Thank you

• Colin B
    Colin B ✭✭✭
    Options

It would be wonderful if update requests shared the same great features that forms do.

In particular, setting fields to mandatory and applying conditional logic are the two main features myself and others I work with would like to see.

We have submitted enhancement requests for these features but are hoping others in the community will see this and increase visibility.

• Shirley Romero
    Shirley Romero ✭✭✭
    Options

This is much needed. Please review and prioritize

• Sarabeth Smith
    Sarabeth Smith ✭✭
    Options
  • Kari G
    Kari G ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Totally agree, Medical Industry here and we need to be able to set "required" to the fields that are requested for updates from the doctors. I have a 2 section form, Nurse fills out the top of it (which has required fields), and the doctor is suppose to fill out the bottom section. The automation kicks it to the Doctor's once the nurse is done. However I can't make the Doctor's field's required, because it would mean the nurse would have to fill it out. The problem we run into is the Doctors are not filling everything out that is needed. Out of 700 entries I reviewed, over 250 were still pending for updates of some sort because I can't make their fields "required" on the form, so data ends up missing. It is so much work to have to follow up directly for each entry. This feature is greatly needed!!!

• MikePorter81
    MikePorter81 ✭✭
    Options

Does anyone have any feed back from Smartsheet on the required fields for workflows? or the owner created forms triggered from a work flow?

• jl.furstenberg
    jl.furstenberg ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • H Brian
    H Brian ✭✭✭
    Options

The other piece that is missing from Update Requests is the _context_ we are able to give in an initial form with help text. If users were able to see Column Descriptions or other help text for filling out the field, that would also increase the likelihood that they will complete the update request correctly the first time. Just submitting characters in the field does not mean the request will be completed!