Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Formulas used in worksheets

Options

Before I create a sheet, is there a way to have SS automatically log and track when I use a formula? I am guessing @Paul Newcome and @Genevieve P. have helped me dozens of times. So I don't have to keep going back to them, I am going to try to create a sheet that displays the FORMULA, lists the sheet it is located in maybe an notes field.

Would be great if this could be auto populated... when I build new formulas.

I fear that when I try to recreate the data exampled in the first pic, all but a few of those data sets are formula generated, pulling from numerous other sheets. If I try to screen shot print and document via ink to paper, I'm bound to miss "({,@ or other symbol ....

2 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is nothing built in the core product other than a very manual process. You MAY be able to get something written through the API, but I can't say for sure. It would certainly be very helpful. Especially if we could specify which source sheet(s) the formula sheet is generated from.

I imagine it would be pretty complex to try to build something that automatically records the formulas as soon as they are entered on the sheet because you would want it also automatically overridden if/when you tweak it. Maybe a checkbox somewhere (sheet summary field) or some way to include a specific text string in a column description that would trigger the recording of the formula(s).

Not only would the sheet name be helpful, but being able to record the column and row (if not a column formula) would be great too.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hey @SkiPatrolScott

There currently isn't an automatic way to see all formulas used on a sheet, as Paul mentioned.

I'd love to hear from other members how they would use this or what they would like to see. Thanks for posting your idea!