Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Add Live Comment Feed to Jira Connector

Options

The Jira connector is missing one piece of functionality that would make it a great product. There is no way to show comments. This is kind of a deal breaker for us.

3 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Dan Cliff
    Dan Cliff ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's this reason (among a few) that we chose not to pursue the Jira connector, instead we're using an IPaaS system to automate the creation of Jira tickets from our project plans and add comments to Jira and Smartsheet using the API.

• clawson
    clawson ✭✭
    Options

@Dan Cliff would you be kind enough to share instructions on how to do this?

• Dan Cliff
    Dan Cliff ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@clawson, of course.

The system I use is make.com, but any Integration Platform as a Service system should be able to achieve the same thing.

Below is the integration scenario, in this case we use a Smartsheet form to collect technical requests from clients, so using Make, I monitor the smartsheet for new records. When a new row is created, I pull the row details into my scenario (field contents) and because we request an attachment from our clients I also use the Smartsheet API to get the details for the attachment.

From there I use Make's integration into Jira to create a new Jira ticket prepopulated with the details of the Smartsheet request. We can then @mention key users in Jira and feedback the Jira ticket details back to Smartsheet; by feeding back it makes a more seamless experience for the users and minimises the manual handling of data.

Throughout this scenario there are also error handlers that send notifications to a slack channel and post comments back to the Smartsheet row so nothing should be left to chance or missed if no one notices the error.

Not shown in this flow are the integrations uses to update and close out the tickets in Smartsheet, but those work in much the same way. Use Jira to trigger a webhook, pass the details of the Jira ticket back through Make.com and update the relevant Smartsheet row.