Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

vLookup: column name instead of number

Options

When using the vlookup formula, is it possible to indicate the column name that we want to return as result instead of the column number? Cos sometimes the columns get reordered, and the results returned by column number will not be the intended column. This is especially so when we are referencing another sheet in the vlookup formula.

2 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hey @JamieLim

Instead of using VLOOKUP, I'd recommend using an INDEX( MATCH combination.

The difference here is that you reference the two columns individually (the column to bring information back from, and the column that has the matching value across both sheets).

=INDEX({Column to return}, MATCH([Matching Value]@row, {Matching Value Column}, 0))

You can title your {column references} something specific so you can see in the formula what it is you're referencing.

Since you're identifying them separately, they can be moved around in the source sheet as much as you'd like and the placement won't affect your formula at all.

Here's a Help Article that goes through how to create this type of formula combination: Formula combinations for cross sheet references

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P. I was just stopping by to suggest an INDEX/MATCH, but I see you already beat me to it. Haha.