The import csv contact list does not seem to be working, is there an issue?

Options

I have attempted all of the useful tips regarding formatting, headers, google sheet conversion, and non of them seem to work.

Best Answer

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Shelli G.

Yes, the upload contacts via CSV feature is currently being investigated as the headers First Name / Last Name / Email Address do not seem to be importing the file correctly. While I do not have an ETA for you for when this will be resolved, our support team is actively investigating this.

In the meantime, I've personally had success using a file that has the same headers as the Export CSV file:

Email Address / Name

Let me know if this works for you in the interim!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• DaShMa
    DaShMa ✭✭
    Options

This does not work for me either. I also tried with the two columns as shown in the Export.csv, but cannot get it working.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @DaShMa

Here are two possible ways to bulk-upload contacts while the team is investigating a fix:

1) If you're on a Mac, use a CSV with the headers:

• Email Address
    • Name

2) This has worked for other users if they don't a Mac but they do have access to Google Sheets:

• Import the CSV into Google Sheets
    • Download the same file from Google sheets as a CSV
    • Use this new file in the Import Contacts process.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Mike N
    Mike N ✭✭
    edited 08/31/23
    Options

None of the resolutions above work with ours.

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Shelli G. & @DaShMa

We've implemented a fix and are testing the results, the bulk Contact upload feature should now be working with the correct headers of:

First Name / Last Name / Email Address

Please try formatting your CSV file as the Help Article states and let me know if it's working again for you now!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• ehpatterson
    Options

@Genevieve P. none of the fixes in this thread seem to be working for us, including following the instructions on the most recent help article.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @ehpatterson

Can you post a screen capture of how you have the headers set up in your CSV file (but block out the data below), as well as identify what type of computer you're using?

Thanks!

Genevieve

• Kurtis Moore
    Options

@Genevieve P. - I'm having the same issues. The only options available for upload are .csv or .vcf (google not listed). Regarding the Column header formats I've tried the following and will attach Screen grabs:

Suggested Format

• First Name / Last Name / Email Address

Modified Format with Email having a hyphen as suggested in another Smartsheet Community String

• First Name / Last Name / E-mail Address

The following format is what Smartsheet exports from contacts and what I've tried to use to re-import

• Email Address / Name

This format is a modified version of the above with the suggested Hyphen from another Community String

• E-mail Address / Name

I'm using a Windows based PC - Lenovo ThinkPad using Windows 10 Enterprise - 16GB RAM and 11th Gen I5 core

Thanks

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Kurtis Moore

The first screen capture has the correct headers and should work:

Note that you won't see a success message, but if you search for the email it should then appear in your Contact list.

Are you getting an error message, or is it simply not uploading?

• Francisco
    Francisco ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P. - we're running into a similar issue. The problem is that upon uploading the contact list, the folks included in the contact list do not get added to the list of available contacts. There's no error, but the new contacts aren't successfully added.

Beyond this, there doesn't appear to be a way to have a set list of contacts available across a workspace. For example, if I'd like to add a group of contacts that's responsible for Finance (example), there's no quick way to have finance contacts populate in a contact column in a sheet. As well, the same list of contacts can't be propagated to another sheet. Say I want the same list of contacts in Sheet 1 as in Sheet 2. We have to re-add the contacts that should be available in Sheet 2 (even if people have been added to Sheet 1).

• Ryan Juip
    Ryan Juip ✭✭
    edited 09/21/23
    Options

This is a topic I have struggled with as well.

I have been unsuccessful in trying to upload a contact list, and similar to Francisco, I was hoping for some interactive functionality so drop down menus could be directed to a specific group.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Francisco & @Ryan Juip

Can you confirm what your headers look like in the file that you're uploading? Can you also confirm what type of computer you're using, as well as browser version and type. It would be helpful to see a screen capture, like @Kurtis Moore!

In regards to using Groups in dropdowns, you're correct, there currently isn't a way to assign a group as a Contact value in a column. Please add your vote and voice to this other Community post to let the Product team know about your feedback.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• AC725
    AC725 ✭✭
    Options

I cannot import any address in my trial version. I am following all instruction on this thread and still it won't accept it. Has this been solved? I've tried every suggestion and nothing.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hey @AC725

Those are the correct headers and should allow you to import contacts. If they're not appearing, try using the same headers as the export file in your CSV:

Email Address / Name

• AC725
    AC725 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Genevieve, for your response. I have tried that also and just tried again to make sure. It still is not working.