Use form to populate an existing row?

Options

I have a sheet that is being used to track data and requires comments from other people. Is it possible to use Form to collect these comments and have them populate into designated rows on the sheet (instead of creating new rows with each new response)?

Tags:

Answers

• Jason Albrecht
    Jason Albrecht ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Allison Yen,

The best method I have found for editing existing data is to use an update request.

I automatically request updates on tasks using conditions such as the number of days since last update, or a change in status or change in owner.

The following suggestion (using a form) is one that I have yet to research and trial.

In essence, a user could potentially trigger an Update Request using a form.

The form would be connected to a helper sheet and would require the user to know unique criteria(s) (such as quote number, or invoice number, or company name and date of entry).

Upon receiving a completed form a column formula would look in the source sheet for a match and return a positive result (check box?).

The source sheet would have a column formula looking for this change in the helper sheet and act as a auto-trigger to issue an update request to the person who completed the form (or whoever else is nominated).

@Rick Girard was also looking into 'Using Forms as an Trigger Input to a Smartsheet' a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if a workaround to his workaround was found though.

Hope this helps and that you have a great day,

Jason Albrecht MBA, MBus(AppFin), DipFinMgt

LinkedIn profile - Open to work