Change cell automation not working

SJTA
SJTA ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an automation to change the value of one cell based on the value in another cell in the same sheet. The change is to occur when triggered.

The source cell value is based on a VLOOKUP formula referencing another sheet.

The cell with the VLOOKUP value changes based on the formula, but the automation to trigger a change in another cell in the same sheet is not working automatically. It only works when I run the Automation for specific cells. I ran the Automation on the entire sheet and it changed all the values in the destination cells in that column.

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Automations cannot be triggered to run immediately based on a cell containing a cross sheet reference or cell link. You would have to set it up to run at a specific time each day and have a condition of the cell that matches what you currently have for your trigger. You can set up multiple automations (different times daily) to get it to run as frequently as hourly.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• SJTA
    SJTA ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome Thanks. I set up a few automations based on your suggestion. I will let you know if it works.

• Hi @Paul Newcome

I'm experiencing something similar, I have an automation that is supposed to trigger changes (cross-sheet, using an INDEX/MATCH formula) - it was working ok for several weeks until this week, it suddenly started alerting very inconsistently.

I have the automation trigger hourly, I should set this to specific times each day then?

How is that different than hourly?

My source sheet is another Smartsheet, this sheet is updated 4 times a day, do you mean to match the automation triggers to this sheet (or a little after updating this sheet?)

Thanks in advance, if you can share some insight.

Vincci

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!