Automation Question

I have a sheet with one column showing "Approved (Y/N)". My automated notice is supposed to go out for approval when this is clicked "Y". All of the approvals were submitted and I hit Run on the whole sheet and it did, but it also sent out approvals for those with "N" or blank in the column.

Why did this happen and is there a way to retract or stop the automation on those that were not supposed to go out?

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The problem is with the "Run Now" feature. It ignores any triggers and only evaluates conditions. If you did not have a condition of that cell being marked as "Y", then it will run for all rows.

When not using "Run Now" and setting it up to trigger when the cell changes, you do not need the condition. Only the trigger of when the cell changes to "Y".

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Itai
    Itai ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Kris Peeters,

Can you add a snapshot of your automation?

My guess is that you didnt set a condition for which rows it should send.

When you set an automation to send when row changes, you also need to set a condition under it so it will only sent rows that are within this condition.

Hope that helps.

Itai Perez

Reporting and Project Manager

If you found my comment helpful any reaction, Insightful, Awsome etc... would be appreciated🙂

https://www.linkedin.com/in/itai-perez/

• Kris Peeters
    Kris Peeters ✭✭✭✭

@Itai - I believe this is what happened. I need to add this to the automation. Thank you!

• Kris Peeters
    Kris Peeters ✭✭✭✭

@Itai Here is snapshot of my automation:

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The problem is with the "Run Now" feature. It ignores any triggers and only evaluates conditions. If you did not have a condition of that cell being marked as "Y", then it will run for all rows.

When not using "Run Now" and setting it up to trigger when the cell changes, you do not need the condition. Only the trigger of when the cell changes to "Y".

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com