Inserting Unique IDs across multiple sheets

KellyMati
KellyMati
edited 09/14/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I am very new to Smartsheets and I'm really struggling with creating unique IDs across multiple sheets.

I have 3 separate data sets split across different regions. I can't use regional unique IDs. I need one sequential, unique ID across the 3 datasets (i.e. a national ID).

It has been advised that one way to achieve this is to create a new worksheet that has a list of unique IDs (using the auto-number format) and then utilise a formula in each of the regional sheets to pull in the relevant unique ID.

The formula needs to verify that the unique ID is not already in use in our 3 regional worksheets, then insert the relevant ID that is next available in the unique ID list.

I am really struggling to work out what this formula could be / look like. I hope my request has made sense?

Is anyone able to help?

Tags:

Answers

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@KellyMati

Hi, I'd love to help, but I am struggling to visualise the requirement completely.

Solutions in my head currently are:

a) Create the UniqueID in the main smartsheet then Move the Row to the relevant Regional Sheet (perhaps?)

b) Use an Index(Match()) to pull the Unique ID through, but I am struggling to visualise this as it is usually the Unique ID that is used to match the correct rows together!

c) Write a piece of API code to get the numbering to do exactly what you want

Feel free to reach out to me if you'd like a quick zoom to show me the issue, then we can see the best way to resolve it.

Kind regards

Debbie Sawyer - Chief Smartsheet Solutions Officer (CSSO)