Update a cell value within an automated workflow

Naren
Naren ✭✭✭✭
edited 09/18/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I need to change a cell's value, specifically converting a negative number into a positive one (e.g., from -85 to 85) within an automated workflow. Unfortunately, I couldn't locate a way to use the ABS function within the workflow. Is there an alternative method to achieve this?

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Naren

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use so-called helper columns: one for the negative value, one with a formula showing the changed value if something else is true, and then a formula in the main column to show the correct value in each step.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Matt Molland
    Matt Molland ✭✭✭
    edited 09/15/23

Apply the formula the the entire column. That way the formula won't exist in Cells without any data in.

Put the formula in a cell within the column you want to apply it to. Right click the formula, then convert column to formula.

• Naren
    Naren ✭✭✭✭

I appreciate your quick response. However, I require the initial value to be negative upon row insertion and then update to a positive number after a user takes action, like modifying a different column value through a dynamic view. Nonetheless, I'm encountering a "#circular reference" error when implementing your proposed solution. I'm still keen to learn how to resolve this error for potential future requirements. Thanks again!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Naren

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use so-called helper columns: one for the negative value, one with a formula showing the changed value if something else is true, and then a formula in the main column to show the correct value in each step.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Naren
    Naren ✭✭✭✭

Thank you, Andree. In my attempt to steer clear of creating redundant columns / helper columns, I ultimately had to create one because I couldn't find a way to transform the "$ amount" column from negative to positive through workflows.