Transfer Backups to a different user?

Amy Knoll
Amy Knoll ✭✭✭
edited 10/02/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi!

We have backups for sheets/workspaces by different users in our organization and are looking to have 1 user manage them. Is there a way to transfer this?

Thanks much.

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Amy Knoll

I think no is the answer.

In my experience with this, I had the users shut their backups off and had that admin level turn it on. I don't think there would be a reason to transfer the backup and here's why. And please @Genevieve P. correct me if I'm wrong here.

So the reoccuring backup feature sends you a link that's good for a certain number of days before it sends another link. My understanding is that the new link is now the backup of the current data and the old link is no longer valid. Like it's not a snap shot in time from the older links unless you had downloaded the backup from the link each time you get it.

So if that's correct, then either there's nothing to physically transfer (except setting it up on the admin account); or you are tranferring the folder that contains the downloaded backup files which would be on whatever storage location you use.

Lastly, I don't think the link to the backup is user specific. So if the backups ARE still valid forever as snapshots in time, you could make a sheet for all the backup links and have the individuals pull the emails and copy the links into there. That would be good for tracking time frames of when the links are backed up from.

I hope that all makes and I'm interested to know if my understanding about this is correct.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• @Matt Johnson

You are mostly correct!

The one thing I will note is that previous backups are still accessible and can be downloaded through the app itself, even if the emailed link isn't available anymore:

As long as the person you want managing backups has at least Viewer permissions on these workspaces, they can schedule the recurring weekly backups to go to them.

Here's more information:

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now