Automation - Lock and Unlock rows (force TODAY() update)

Hi community

I have added in an automation on multiple sheets that should, on the first of the month, lock and then unlock all the rows on the sheet. This is to force all formulas utilising TODAY() to update.

On viewing some sheets today I have noticed that many have locked rows. I have manually run the automation and it only does one action or the other i.e. lock if the rows are unlocked and unlock if they are locked. I have created the automation as per the advice within the Help and Learning pages (although I found this workaround in the community first) which can be found here - https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2482767-automatically-update-today-in-formulas. I also attach a screen shot of my automation, maybe I have gone wrong but as it is so simple I'm not sure how.

Can anyone help please? Don't really want to try and set another automation to unlock an hour after locking, seems really excessive. (Ideally TODAY() would update without the need for this.)

Tags:

Best Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You are going to need to set up a second automation that unlocks an hour later if you want to keep with the lock/unlock method.

I personally prefer to just insert a date type column and then set up a Record A Date automation to record the date in this new column daily at 12:00am.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

"Just to confirm, on the Record a Date option, this will update all the formulas that use TODAY() in the sheet? I don't need to point at that date instead of using TODAY() do I?"

That is correct. You can maintain your TODAY references. You do not need to reference the [today's date] column.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You are going to need to set up a second automation that unlocks an hour later if you want to keep with the lock/unlock method.

I personally prefer to just insert a date type column and then set up a Record A Date automation to record the date in this new column daily at 12:00am.

10xViz.com

• Jimmy_B
    Jimmy_B ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/03/23

Thanks @Paul Newcome appreciate the reply. Unfortunately I have a number of sheets to apply it to but I think I may just suck it up and crack on. Short term pain for long term gain.

Just to confirm, on the Record a Date option, this will update all the formulas that use TODAY() in the sheet? I don't need to point at that date instead of using TODAY() do I?

I'll have a look at that help page from Smartsheet as to whether I can provide feedback as their advice is flawed based on my experience and your response/confirmation of my fears.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

"Just to confirm, on the Record a Date option, this will update all the formulas that use TODAY() in the sheet? I don't need to point at that date instead of using TODAY() do I?"

That is correct. You can maintain your TODAY references. You do not need to reference the [today's date] column.

10xViz.com

• fhill
    fhill ✭✭

@Paul Newcome

I set up the today() refresh with a 'Records a Date' column, however I still can't seem to get this working. Any ideas? I confirmed the automation is running successfully at 4am, but I still have to open the Sheets every morning for them to refresh? Notes / Screenshots below...

• SC1 - Portal View of the Report this morning and still has last weeks data
    • SC2 - Not until I OPEN the Sheet do the values refresh (and then the Portal updates afterwards)
    • SC3 - Last screen shot is the automation, that SmartSheets says is running successfully every day at 4am

• Jimmy_B
    Jimmy_B ✭✭✭✭

Hi @fhill

I have a condition in my automation to record the date where the date "Program Loigc_Ignore" is in the past (or blank). This is what is stated in the help link I shared initially and my associated reports are updating ok.

Hope this helps

James