Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Importing contacts from outlook

Esther G
Esther G
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Hi,

I'm having trouble important contacts from outlook.

I have a csv (windows) file saved, but when i import it through smart sheet it tells me there are no outlook (csv) contacts found.

I've opened the file. There are contacts listed in there. However, not sure if this is the reason, but the first name, last name and email address are all in one column (column a).

Not sure what to do. I have a little under 500 contacts I need to import, so I really can't do this manually.

Any tips will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Esther

Tags:

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Check out this article on bulk importing contacts. The CSV file has to be set up in a certain way. Here is a note from the article: 

"The columns in your CSV file must be formatted correctly. The column names of A, B, and C should be ‘First Name’, ‘Last Name’, and ‘E-mail Address’, respectively. Exact spelling is important." 

• Hi Travis,

Thank you for your response.

I used that article and also made sure the spelling was exactly the same (with and without the speech marks) but no luck.

Outlook 2010 doesnt seem to seperate the data into 3 columns, so I exported it as an excel file then saved this file as CSV file. Still nothing..

Any other suggestions?

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Esther, just to confirm - you have a CSV file with three columns formatted exactly how it is shown in my previous post and you are still unable to import your contacts? If you would like to send me the CSV file you are trying to import, I can take a look! community@smartsheet.com

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Update: After several emails back and forth we determined Esther's computer (Excel) was exporting the CSV in a wonky format that was not recognized by Smartsheet in the correct format (also not recognized in the correct format on other computers). She sent me an Excel file (not CSV) of her data, I saved it as a CSV and then was able to import the contact successfully.  

This discussion has been closed.