what is the best way to bring in something from another sheet but without using parent/child

Options
jerry123
jerry123 ✭✭✭✭
edited 10/03/23 in Smartsheet Basics

What is the best way to bring over the revenue budget for a specific employee? there's two rows for each employee since each one is for a specific project. the revenue budget lives on another sheet. I don't want to add hierarchies to this sheet since I'm using it for data shuttle.

Answers

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/03/23
    Options

Hi @jerry123,

You would want to create 2 Cross-Sheet References. One for the Employee name, and one for the Revenue Budget.

Right-click your in your destination grid, and click Manage References. Point to your origin sheet, select the "Employee" column header so the entire column is selected, name the Reference "Employee". Do the same thing for "Revenue Budget".

On your destination sheet, you will need a Column Formula for the Revenue Budge column.

The following reflects Cross-Sheet References named "Revenue Budget" and "Employee".

=INDEX({Revenue Budget}, MATCH([Employee]@row, {Employee}, 0))

• jerry123
    jerry123 ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/03/23
    Options

Hi @Ray Lindstrom thank you, This works but since its the same employee I have it on 2 rows... any idea whats the best way to avoid this?

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't know of any way to avoid that. A match is a match. Are you running totals somewhere that this duplicated data would cause a problem?