Is there any way to see what non-licenced users see?

I'm compiling a basic 'how to' guide for kaimahi so they feel more comfortable using SmartSheet, and so they can refer if they need to make changes directly to a sheet (eg as opposed to forms).

As I have full admin rights however, I'm aware that my 'home page' will look different to theirs - so is there any way to 'view as' - as in see what a home page looks like for an unlicenced user/someone who has had a sheet shared with them?

I'm trying to avoid asking colleagues what their screens look like.

Ngā mihi,

Bek

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The screens shouldn't look any different other than a banner at the top prompting them to get a license.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Bek T
    Bek T ✭✭✭

Hi Paul, I was meaning more as what view they see on their home screen. For me as admin, I can see the workspaces I've developed and those shared with me as in the small snip below -

However, a team member that is working on one item of a project in only the one sheet, has only got access to that sheet; so one would presume that it would show as a shared sheet (as what does for me if others share sheets with me and not workspaces) - however there doesn't seem to be a clear way of seeing what they would see.

Also, I'm not sure if a shared Dashboard would show in their area as a dashboard, or if they'd have to access from the link all the time - hence the question of a 'view as' function.

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Bek T,

There is no "view as" option. That would allow you to see things (files) that aren't shared to you (if anything was presently shared with that user but not yourself).

• Bek T
    Bek T ✭✭✭

Thanks @Ray Lindstrom ,

I don't think I've articulated my question well enough; I wasn't meaning to want to see everything a particular person sees; it's more of a generic option. As in 'view as what someone who has a shared sheet will see' or 'view as someone who has this dashboard shared will see, as a commenter'.... and the likes. So when someone asks where to find what you've shared in their SmartSheet dashboard (or pre-empting that question and being able to tell them where to find it), you're in the know.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That has nothing to do with licensed vs non-licensed users. It all depends on HOW they are shared to it (not even permission level / admin, viewer, etc. do not matter).

If they are shared to the individual item directly, it will show up in their "Sheets" folder. If they are shared to the workspace the item is in, then they will see it in the workspace which will be listed there on the left side.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Bek T
    Bek T ✭✭✭

THANKS Paul, good to know. I have been told by a colleague that a shared dashboard doesn't show up anywhere (they've got to bookmark the link for access) - do you know of a way they'd be able to see this in their own space?

Going back to original question, I am presuming there is no 'view as' function; it's just assumed the item will show up in the area it's shared to?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are they actually shared to the dashboard, or are they using a published link?

10xViz.com

• Bek T
    Bek T ✭✭✭

They've been shared to the dashboard, we don't use public links

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When they open the link from the bookmark, have them click on file and the properties. This will show the location of the dashboard.

If they are not shared to the workspace that the dashboard resides in, then it should be in their Sheets folder.

10xViz.com

• Bek T
    Bek T ✭✭✭

Thanks Paul - the issue is with the dashboard not showing up in their sheets folder. Hence wondering where else it would be/why it wouldn't show up in there, as it's been shared

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It may be that they also have access to the workspace the dashboard is in. Have you had them check the dashboard properties to see the location?

10xViz.com