Report shows blank to Commenter / Editor - can share

Options

Hello. I have a couple of reports sitting in a Workspace where colleagues have Commenter access to the Workspace. I additionally granted Editor - can share access to the reports themselves, but neither staff member can see the contents of the reports (reports are blank for them). They saw contents prior to yesterday when they only had Commenter access to the workspace. I've tried adjusting their permissions to the sheet, refreshing the underlying sheet and the reports, urging them to refresh the page, wait and try again, etc. What next? Thanks -J

Tags:

Best Answer

• Jennifer Fermon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks, Genevieve. I solved it for now by publishing the report. They cannot comment, but at least they see the contents now. The underlying sheet has much more info than the external filter (the report), so the idea was to keep it simple.

Answers

• Jennifer Fermon
    Options

I have just tried Publishing the report but haven't heard back yet from colleagues if that worked. If there are other ideas, I am here for them. Thank you, all!

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hey @Jennifer Fermon

I like to think of Reports as a window into the underlying sheet.

This means that collaborators can only view/access the Report based on their permissions on the sheet. If all the sheets/reports were in the same Workspace and they all have Commenter access, this would give them Commenter access in the Report (since that's their permission in the sheet).

If you upgrade the Report sharing individually (from Commenter to Editor), they will still only have Commenter access since the sheet did not get upgraded. The Report window opens up the section of the sheet you want them to access, but the actions they can take are based on what they can do in the sheet.

You would need to give them Editor access on the sheet for them to be able to Edit through the Report - does that make sense?

If that's what you've done, can you double check that the Report is referencing the same sheet(s) that you updated? Is it possible there are duplicate sheets with the same name?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Jennifer Fermon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks, Genevieve. I solved it for now by publishing the report. They cannot comment, but at least they see the contents now. The underlying sheet has much more info than the external filter (the report), so the idea was to keep it simple.