Report missing columns

admn
admn ✭✭
edited 10/09/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

We are trying to create a report. The report is feed by a few hundreds of sheets.

I select the workspace, and I have find out that some columns are missing, for instance "SKU".

If i remove all sheets and select only one sheet, i can see the column

If I select the column and save, then the column is shown, then I can select again the full workspace and Ill see the SKU column and its data (this is the workaround I have found).

If tomorrow I need to add N new columns, how I need to proceed? removing all sheets from targets, adding the columns and selecting again the sheets? This may work if I am lucky and all sheets are located in the same Workspace, but if I need to select them manually from different locations, its not a solution.

Is this a BUG? Do this work as dessigned? If so, can someone explain which is the best practice to work?

Thank you

Answers

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @admn

There are sometimes quirks when looking up column names in the report builder, especially if you are referencing a lot of data!

I find that typing out part or all of the desired column names and then hitting backspace results in all applicable columns populating, so I would try that. So if you types "SKU " (with a space) and then delete the space I would expect SKU would appear so long as it is truly a column in a referenced Sheet.

Hope that helps!

School of Sheets (Smartsheet Partner)

If my answer helped please accept and react w/💡Insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, ❤️Awesome!

• admn
    admn ✭✭

Hello,

This is not fixing the problem.

In addition this SKU column doesnt appear in filters or groups even its shown in the report.

SKU is the first column Shown in the report

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have run into this before too. It is a bug. Removing all but one sheet, selecting the column, then adding the other sheets back in is the only way I have found to make it work. Fortunately it doesn't seem to happen very often for me unless it is a column on some sheets being referenced but not on others.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• I have this same problem, but when I try your workaround, I can't even get it to show the missing columns. It's only giving me 4 columns to choose from.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SW_SS_Admin Did you create a row report or a summary report?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• SW_SS_Admin
    SW_SS_Admin ✭✭
    edited 11/08/23

@paul_newcom Thanks for replying!

It turns out the way our sheet was made the report only looks at the first line. So I had to make it reference the MAX number in the columns I wanted to show.

It's not the best way to handle it... I'll probably change our sheet structure soon so we won't have this kind of an issue again.

• KRichard
    KRichard ✭✭✭

Has this been fixed? We're not able to create any reports because it's only giving us 4 columns to choose from: Created, Created by, Modified, Modified by. HELP!

• Hey @KRichard

In your scenario, it sounds like you may have selected to create a Summary Report, which will only pull System columns and Sheet Summary fields (the side panel in the sheet). Try creating a Row Report instead! 🙂

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now