Join the conversation on STEM education and help nurture the next generation of visionaries

Options

Comments

• Sherry Fox
    Sherry Fox ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is such an exciting topic! There are so many woman in STEM that are exceptional, that it makes it hard to choose. However, if I had to choose one woman that was beyond exceptional, it would be Katherine Johnson, whom was a NASA employee. She was an amazing mathematician that was known for her orbital mechanics calculations. This woman was beyond amazing, in every sense of the word. The was a movie that showcased Katherine Johnson, and her friends/co-workers at NASA. This movie is a MUST-watch, is called "Hidden Figures". Believe it or not, I have watched it 12+ times.

Sherry Fox

Project Analyst | Core Quality Services (QMS Transformation)

Medtronic

EAP | Mobilizer | Automagician | Superstar | Community Champion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sherryfox/

• Rebeca S.
    Rebeca S. Employee Admin
    Options

The first woman that inspired my interest in STEM was my mom. She's a biologist that worked with a national university. Her main area of study is fungi, so whenever we found one, she would guide me through the steps to identify it, and teach me more about each of them.

I could also accompany her to work during Summer as a child. I was so lucky to get to see how a scientific collection was kept, the tools they used, and to be introduced to amazing women researchers that would patiently explain their work to me, the articles they had published, etc. Thanks to all of them, but specially my mom, I grew up never doubting that women belong in STEM, and the incredible things we can accomplish.

• Charlene Stacy
    Charlene Stacy ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

1st professionally employed female electrical engineer in the US in 1922...WOW!

• Alison Clancy
    Alison Clancy Employee Admin
    edited 11/01/23
    Options

Love learning this about you @Rebeca S.! 🍄 Does your mom have a favorite fungi?

• Rebeca S.
    Rebeca S. Employee Admin
    Options

@Alison Clancy, she was really excited about this question, and gave me a full list! In the end, she decided on "Geastrum triplex," which is described as "vaguely star shaped," and found in the leaf litter of hardwood forests.

• Trish Dillon
    Trish Dillon ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

🤩 I am part of WIC (women in the cloud) group and I love the platform that Chaitra Vedullapalli has done for access to great things!

• Trish Dillon
    Trish Dillon ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

😎 Another org is AnitaB.org and the Grace Hopper awards they provide worldwide. I am grateful to be a mentor to 8 wonderful ladies this year to provide advice and create a great community to share within.

• Melissa Farley
    Options

One woman in science and technology who has been a great inspiration is Ada Lovelace. Ada Lovelace, born in 1815, is often regarded as the world's first computer programmer. She is known for her work on Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine, an early mechanical general-purpose computer design. Lovelace wrote extensive notes and annotations to Babbage's work, including a set of instructions for the engine to calculate Bernoulli numbers. Her notes contained what is now considered the first algorithm intended to be processed by a machine, which is why she is often called the "world's first computer programmer."

What makes Ada Lovelace particularly inspiring is not only her pioneering work in the field of computer science but also her visionary insights. She saw the potential of computers beyond mere number-crunching, envisioning that these machines could be used for creating music, art, and more, long before the actual realization of these ideas. Her work laid the foundation for the future development of computer programming and algorithmic thinking, making her a trailblazer in a field that has had a profound impact on our modern world.

Ada Lovelace's contribution serves as a testament to the fact that women have played significant roles in the history of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM), even during times when such fields were predominantly male-dominated. Her legacy continues to inspire and motivate women and individuals in STEM today to push boundaries, challenge stereotypes, and make groundbreaking contributions to their respective fields.

• Deanna Vandermeer
    Deanna Vandermeer Overachievers Alumni
    Options

There are SOOOO many wonderful women to choose from and honestly it is hard to narrow it down to just one. From Katherine. G. Johnson, Dr. Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Blackwell, Margaret Elaine Hamilton .... I am inspired by each and every one of them. I absolutely love STEM (and STEAM for that matter too). Our local school district, which I have proudly worked at for the past 35 years, has made great strides in bringing STEM/STEAM to our schools and our kids. We have several schools who have also recently added the "A" to their STEM programs. In fact, this Saturday, November 11 we are hosting the FIRST Lego League Challenge Tournament and we will have 48 teams competing, over 30 teams from our district alone!! On a personal note, my daughter is our district's STEAM Community Liaison (while raising three daughters, ages 3 & 8 month twins). I am proud of my daughter ... and who knows, perhaps she is raising the next generation of young women in STEM/STEAM?!?

Smartsheet Overachievers Alumni

• Alison Clancy
    Alison Clancy Employee Admin
    Options

@Deanna Vandermeer A LEGO LEAGUE CHALLENGE TOURNEY?! That sounds like a ding dang blast! Keep us posted on how it goes.

• CarleeMohr
    Options

A women in STEM that empowers me is Nzambi Matee. She was awarded the young champion of the earth in 2020. Nzambi Matee is an engineer, inventor and entrepreneur and the head of Gjenge Makers, the company she founded as a solution to plastic pollution in Nairobi, Kenya.

Gjenge Makers produces sustainable, low-cost construction materials made of recycled plastic waste and sand. Matee developed the prototype for a machine that turns discarded plastic into paving stones.

Matee, who majored in material science and worked as an engineer in Kenya’s oil industry, was inspired to launch her business after routinely coming across plastic bags strewn along Nairobi’s streets. In 2017, Matee quit her job as a data analyst and set up a small laboratory in her mother’s backyard.

Each day, the business churns out 1,500 plastic pavers, giving a second life to plastic bottles and other containers which would otherwise end up in landfills or, worse, on city streets.

Matee encourages other young people to tackle environmental challenges at the local level. “The negative impact we are having on the environment is huge,” she said. “Start with whatever local solution you can find and be consistent with it. The results will be amazing.”

As a women in Construction who is incredibly passionate about sustainability, I look up to her innovation and applaud her efforts.

• Deanna Vandermeer
    Deanna Vandermeer Overachievers Alumni
    Options

@Alison Clancy - I will let you know how it goes. Our FIRST Lego League teams have been really growing these past several years so it is exciting to see how large this tournament has become (and we have teams from other districts coming to compete as well).

Smartsheet Overachievers Alumni

• Pamela Clapp
    Pamela Clapp ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Going in a different direction than some of the women who have paved the way for those of us today. I saw this great project that some current day women in STEM are working to solve the problem of bathroom issues for women at huge festivals. What a huge problem when your at a festival and need a bathroom...but seems so small in the every day live. I love this fun project the PEEQUAL is and great example of women today solving problems. I get energy and enjoy watching young women succeed! https://www.peequal.com/ourstory-1

• Tiffany Ruvalcaba
    Options

A woman in STEM that inspires me is my daughter. She is a double-major in Anthropology & Biology with hopes to get into the field of forensics. She gets so excited talking about bio sciences I just sit and smile. I truly have no idea what she's talking about, but seeing her passion and joy for her field makes my momma-heart happy. This was her happiest lab.

• Diana K.
    Diana K. ✭✭✭
    Options

As a Polish woman and a scientist, I draw my greatest inspiration from the remarkable Marie Curie Sklodowska. She's the only woman to ever win two Nobel Prizes, and her groundbreaking work in the field of radioactivity continues to motivate scientists worldwide. Her legacy reminds us of the enduring impact women can make in the world!!

Discover Girlstart

Unlock the badge & Support Girlstart

Support Girlstart and help nurture the next generation of visionaries