How do I personalize what i see in the calendar view for each event?

selmadag
selmadag ✭✭
edited 10/24/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I am trying to recreate a calendar with 2 major events. Each event has sub-tasks with different start / end dates and different participants.

For example Event 1 is France and Event 2 is Italy. Each main event has different sub-events with different dates and participation

1. First I would like to change the color of each main event (one for "France" and one for "Italy".

2. Then i would like to show the Event name (France or italy) (which already appears now) + the number of participants.

Best Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @selmadag

The Calendar View in Smartsheet uses the Primary Column as the field to show on the task in the View. This means that if your Primary Column only says "France" or "Italy", thats what will appear.

I would recommend two things:

1) Have one column that lists the main event for each row (e.g. "France" or "Italy").

If this main event is the Parent Row's Event Name, we can automate this! All you need to do is use the function PARENT() to reference the column with the Event Name:

=IF(COUNT(ANCESTORS([Event Name]@row)) = 0, [Event Name]@row, PARENT([Event Name]@row))

Then you can set up Conditional Formatting to change the task bar colour depending on what's selected.

2) Have a separate column to list your Event Names, not the Primary column. Then use the Primary Column to have a formula that combines cells from that row:

=[Event Name]@row + " - " + [Participant Number]@row

Then you should be able to see a colour-coordinated calendar with your preferred text on top:

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @selmadag

You would need to create a new Text/Number column then copy/paste the content in your current Primary column into this one instead. Then since the current Primary is blank, you can add in your formula! Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers