How do I add days to an existing date?

I have read through this community about the same question, however, the solutions haven't seemed to work for me. I'm working on a Debt Snowball sheet to calculate and estimate when my bills will be paid off. I can use EITHER the Months or Days column from the DATE column. For example - need the formula to add 8 months (or 247 days) to 11/3/23.

My DATE column is set up with the date and is not text or manually inputted.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Nick Korna
    Nick Korna ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jenna P,

If your DATE and Paid off by (est.) columns are both set to date then in the latter put the following formula:

=Date@row + [Days rounded up]@row

You will need to copy/paste the date into the other rows for this to work, but you can then convert it to a column formula.

Alternatively:

=Date$1 + [Days rounded up]@row

(change the 1 for the row number of your date). Here you can't convert to a column formula, but you can copy/paste or drag it down.

Pick whichever option you prefer! 🙂

Hope this helps, if there are any problems/questions then just post!

Answers

• Nick Korna
    Nick Korna ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jenna P,

If your DATE and Paid off by (est.) columns are both set to date then in the latter put the following formula:

=Date@row + [Days rounded up]@row

You will need to copy/paste the date into the other rows for this to work, but you can then convert it to a column formula.

Alternatively:

=Date$1 + [Days rounded up]@row

(change the 1 for the row number of your date). Here you can't convert to a column formula, but you can copy/paste or drag it down.

Pick whichever option you prefer! 🙂

Hope this helps, if there are any problems/questions then just post!

• Jenna P
    Jenna P ✭✭

Thank you @Nick Korna This worked!! I didn't have my Paid Off By column set to Date.

• dhall
    dhall ✭✭✭✭

Hey I just want to leave a comment that if you have a formula to calculate a number of days, make sure the numbers are not in quotes. Here's an example of what I ran into.

Formula:

=IF(CONTAINS("Fundamental", [LP Name]@row), "270", "90")

Result:

I would get "270" as my field if it matched the IF(CONTAINS condition. Sounds good, right? Wrong. It treats it as a string of text and not an integer. So when I tried to do the above solution and adding my date column to my number column, I would get something like this:

10/08/23270. It just appended the 270 to the end of the date. To fix it, I had to remove the quotes, so my formula looked like this:

=IF(CONTAINS("Fundamental", [LP Name]@row), 270, 90)

Rookie mistake, but just wanted to put that on this thread in case anyone else runs into the issue I did!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!