How can the name of the approver auto populate into "approved by"?

Options

We have a change order request form for our suppliers to use when requested a change in the design or scope of our projects. I have an automatic workflow to send the request for approval to our construction manager(s). When they approve (or deny) the request, the status changes to approved (or denied) .. but I cannot seem to get the approvers name to auto populate in the "approved by" column

I have tried multiple workflows... I have found a way to have a name assigned to the "approved by" column when the approval status changes .. but I have to pick one persons name .. there doesn't seem to be an area where the person who clicked approve has their name autopopulate.

What am I missing?

Answers

• Eric Law
    Eric Law ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jmalthouse Yeah, the reason for this is that ANYONE can be an approver. They just need to be sent a link. If you want a name to be populated, you will need to change the automation from Request Approval to Request an Update. Then you can hardcode each field into the message and link the Approval column and Approver name so the Updater (Approver) can update those 2 fields.

• AMY B.
    Options

@Jmalthouse and @Eric Law .....I have a similar workflow in which, a sales person puts in their manager email and once that manager approves it goes to the sales vp that was also identified. I have noticed that I am having issues with delivery of the approve/deny request for the ones that have "automation@smartsheet.com" in the approved by column, yet not the ones where the sales manager email (1st level of approval) is identified. Any insight here?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Jmalthouse @Eric Law @AMY B.

I hope you're well and safe!

Another option could be to update a separate column with who the approver was using different workflows or condition steps.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.