Formula/Function to pull new rows/updated rows to another sheet

Options

Hi Everyone,

We have a critical issues list that is maintained by another group, and I've created an end-to-end schedule that will determine whether or not we will have the issues "validated" by our Week 0 deadline. Since the source sheet is constantly being updated and new issues are added weekly, I want my sheet to be able to pull any new data that meets a specific criteria. In this case, I'm looking for any issues categorized as "MUST" or "HIGH WANT", as you can see below in the first column.

Right now, the way I'm managing this is through a report I created which filters out the information I need, and then I've also created an automation that will copy any new rows meeting my criteria on the source sheet into my sheet. I feel like there is an easier/better way of doing this though. I'm thinking maybe an INDEX or VLOOKUP formula but I've ever actually used it before. Or perhaps, a way to utilize cell linking to do this?

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thank you,

Brad

Answers

• Zachary Hall
    Zachary Hall ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Brad,

In order to better help you, we may need to know why the automation to copy them isn't a good solution. INDEX and VLOOKUP can get you the information you want but could create excessive cell references depending on the quantity of info you are looking to bring over. Datamesh could also provide a potential solution. What do you not like about your current solution?

Best,

Zach Hall

Training Delivery Manager / Charter Communications

• Bradhickswa
    Bradhickswa ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Zachary Hall ,

It's not that the automation isn't a good solution. I just thought maybe there was something easier I could do. If utilizing the automation is seemingly the best solution, then that works for me. :-) I'll look into Data Mesh and see if that's something worth using...

Thanks!

Brad

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!