Portfolio WorkApps Roles/Assignments not working

I created a role in my portfolio level workapp (created by SCC) and assigned some users to it. The permissions don't seem to carry to the underlying projects. I have to go to each project and assign the person there as well. What am I missing?

Smartsheet Solutions Architect

www.adapture.com

Answers

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    edited 11/07/23

@Ramzi The roles will only assign them access in the WorkApp, not the underlying sheets, reports, etc.. The only person that will get access to the underlying sheets is the column assigned as the Project Owner, and that person has to have a license.

You will have to give them access at a different point in the blueprint, under the Customize Profile Data section.

For example: Customize Profile Data section, see the executive sponsor profile data, Approval Column, and "Permission"

• Ramzi
    Ramzi ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Samuel Mueller. Can you please elaborate on where this is? --> "You will have to give them access at a different point in the blueprint, under the portfolio data section."?

www.adapture.com

• Samuel Mueller

@Ramzi I added a screenshot late ^

• Ramzi
    Ramzi ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! I'll give that a go and see if it resolves my problem.

www.adapture.com

• Ramzi
    Ramzi ✭✭✭✭✭

It's possible I didn't explain my issue clearly. Let me try again.

In my Portfolio Level roles, I created a role called Project Lead. Added a Smartsheet group to it with some users (in Smartsheet). See #1 in Screenshot 1.

At the project level, I have some Pages that the role is allowed to see. See #2 and #3 in Screenshot 1.

The problem I am having is that those users who are part of the group, can see the portfolio level assets when they go to the Portfolio level WorkApp, but when they click on an individual project from the list, they have to request permission for each project that they try to go to. The only way for me to get it to work is to go into each project (as Admin) in WorkApp and add them individually to each project. See second screen shot.

Screenshot 1

Screen Shot 2

Any help is appreciated.

www.adapture.com

• Samuel Mueller
    edited 11/07/23

@Ramzi that makes a little more sense. In order to grant them access automatically they have to be listed on the intake sheet in a column called "QVCI Project Lead (Or whatever the role should be called)" for every row, and in control center in the WorkApp section you have to identify that column as a role.

• Samuel Mueller
    edited 11/07/23

@Ramzi this section

After you do that, you will open the blueprint from within WorkApps, and set up that role to identify which sheets they should be able to see.

• Ramzi
    Ramzi ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done that and I thougbht that's how it works - but here's the question - if they are added as a lead after the intake row is submitted and after the project is provisioned, do they automatically get access at that point? Currently, the Project Lead may not be known at intake time and assigned later on?

www.adapture.com

• Samuel Mueller

@Ramzi it does not go backwards, they have to be in the intake sheet before you provision the project.

• Samuel Mueller

@Ramzi I think a new idea should be submitted for that functionality because I understand the frustration there. It's very time consuming to update roles in WorkApps.

What I would do in your case is not provision the project until a lead is assigned, but I understand that may not be possible for you.

• Ramzi
    Ramzi ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks so much @Samuel Mueller! I appreciate your quick response and this is going to be a real problem for us. But I understand it's a limitation now and I'll have to mitigate through process.

www.adapture.com