Copy over a column

Options

I'm trying to leverage Smartsheet for a data input exercise for my team. I need to copy over a column from one sheet into another which will be sent to my team. Is this possible? (note: I just need the column header and it's properties--the cells in column are blank/empty). I am not looking to link any cells.  

Best Answer

• David Ruff
    David Ruff ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

This is possible, but I would only suggest doing this if you need multiple columns copied. Otherwise, just manually add the column and add the properties you need

To do this: Go to the sheet with the column you need, use the "Copy to Another Sheet..." function by right clicking on the far left side of any row. Select the sheet you want to copy the column to. Go to the sheet you just copied a row to, delete unwanted columns (which could take awhile since you can only delete 5 at a time). Delete the row you copied over if not needed.

Again - if it's only one column, add it and define the properties manually since there isn't a straightforward way of copying columns from one sheet to another.

Answers

• David Ruff
    David Ruff ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

This is possible, but I would only suggest doing this if you need multiple columns copied. Otherwise, just manually add the column and add the properties you need

To do this: Go to the sheet with the column you need, use the "Copy to Another Sheet..." function by right clicking on the far left side of any row. Select the sheet you want to copy the column to. Go to the sheet you just copied a row to, delete unwanted columns (which could take awhile since you can only delete 5 at a time). Delete the row you copied over if not needed.

Again - if it's only one column, add it and define the properties manually since there isn't a straightforward way of copying columns from one sheet to another.

• Yakshita Srivastava
    Options

Thanks for your reply , it worked !

• Yakshita Srivastava
    Options

also is there a way to remove  bulk remove “linked cells?” In testing out this feature, I now have the blue & gray ‘arrows’ in a live file

• David Ruff
    David Ruff ✭✭✭
    Options

I would refer you to the Sheet Reference Manager, where you can perform a bulk delete. Right click anywhere in your sheet and select "Manage References". I will show you cross sheet references as well as cell link references.

• Nixi
    Nixi ✭✭
    Options

Hi, I don't see this option, although it's exactly what I'm looking for - is there a level of access that I need to be able to copy columns to new sheets?

Thanks!

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Nixi

You can copy a row from a sheet into another sheet manually by right-clicking on the row number. If the option is greyed out, try selecting a row that already contains data (you can't copy a blank row).

Here's more information: Copy rows to another sheet

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Nixi
    Nixi ✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Genevieve P. It was columns I needed to copy. I've done it now though - thanks.

• EEK
    EEK ✭✭✭
    Options

@Nixi It does work as a very clunky work around. Let's say sheet A has 6 columns you want in Sheet B. If you copy a row (any row) in Sheet A to Sheet B, sheet B will add those missing columns so the rows copy completely over.