Smartsheet Jira Connector - Update Based on Smartsheet Column?

I have a Smartsheet Jira connection setup where the issues in Jira are copied and updated into a Smartsheet based on who is working the issue (because we have issues spread across multiple projects and there are thousands of issues that our company has within Jira we use a filter to only look at those from users on a team). However, when an issue is updated to another team, there is no longer an update from Jira on the status of the ticket because we have it only pulling in those tickets from users on our team. Is there a way to create a filter to keep tickets updated by a filter on what is in a Smartsheet? So that even if the issue is reassigned we will get the status updated.

Best Answer

• Sarah123
    Sarah123 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I did find a way to do this (although it's a bit of a process and prone to breaking). I have all tasks that are in the Filtered out by Connector - not synced sub-tasks being copied to another sheet. Then, I have used a Jira connector to look at tasks that were assigned at one time to my team and updated within the past 2 weeks pushing to that same sheet. If there are any tasks that Jira is pushing that weren't in my new sheet (from the original sheet move workflow) than I don't have the task name being updated. This way I can create an automation to remove any task that doesn't have a task name so I can use a datamesh to update only those items that were not updated in my original sheet by the connector.

That is a bit confusing so if you have questions I'm happy to discuss further. 😀

Answers

• Hey @Sarah123

It doesn't look like other members have tried something similar (although I'd love to be proven wrong!). Were you able to figure out a solution for your scenario?

It sounds like you may want to have two different sheets: one that's connected for your personal team, then another one with the tickets you've moved over. This way you could have a different Jira workflow set up for that second sheet to keep them updated.

Let me know if that may work for your team and process!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Sarah123
    Sarah123 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't found a way to get it to work yet. I thought about setting up another sheet and having the tickets copied over to that sheet but I can't seem to find a way to pull just those tickets' status from Jira. Unfortunately doing a full pull from Jira won't work as we have too many tickets for a single sheet (and the tickets are not in just one Jira project).

• Sarah123
    Sarah123 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I did find a way to do this (although it's a bit of a process and prone to breaking). I have all tasks that are in the Filtered out by Connector - not synced sub-tasks being copied to another sheet. Then, I have used a Jira connector to look at tasks that were assigned at one time to my team and updated within the past 2 weeks pushing to that same sheet. If there are any tasks that Jira is pushing that weren't in my new sheet (from the original sheet move workflow) than I don't have the task name being updated. This way I can create an automation to remove any task that doesn't have a task name so I can use a datamesh to update only those items that were not updated in my original sheet by the connector.

That is a bit confusing so if you have questions I'm happy to discuss further. 😀