HUGE ISSUE WITH SMARTSHEET INTAKE FORMS!

Options

HI EVERYONE!

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A HUGE ISSUE IN THE SMARTSHEET FORMS! 

Using the Form logic, I have kept some "required" field hidden. But DESPITE these fields being hidden, my end users are able to click the SUBMIT button and submit the form! How can we submit a form without filling in ALL its mandatory fields??  

I AM COMPLETELY UNABLE TO SERVE MY B2B CLIENTS BECAUSE OF THIS FORM ISSUE!! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME RESOLVE IT OR SUGGEST SOME CONCRETE WORKAROUND?. 

Thanks

PS: I HAD SUBMITTED A SIMILAR REQUEST A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO AS WELL.  :(

@Genevieve P. @Andrée Starå @Paul Newcome

Tags:

Answers

• Tim C
    Tim C ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why are you hiding a required field?

• John C Murray
    John C Murray ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Fields that are hidden by logic do not become mandatory until they are made visible. Interestingly, if you reverse the data entry that made them visible (and they become invisible again) they will remain mandatory.

If you are hiding mandatory fields you should first assess whether this is really the right thing to do. I have certainly done this where critical information is only needed if the logic condition is true. For example "Do you holder a current crane operators ticket?" --> "Yes" --> "Enter the ticket number: * ", where the ticket number is mandatory. If the answer to the first prompt is "No" then the ticket number is not needed.

You must make the fields containing the logic that unhides them mandatory as well to minimise the risk of your problem occurring. You can then set the logic to unhide subsequent mandatory fields regardless of the value(s) entered.

It is difficult to provide any other tips without an example of what you are doing and an outline of what you are trying to achieve

• zealvert
    zealvert ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi

Thanks so much for the above feedback! I am showing below an example of the issue:

Please see the screenshots below:

STEP 1

STEP 2 (I chose a date beyond the permitted limit)

STEP 3 (despite what was not expected, we can submit the form)

All I want is some sort of workaround to prevent the submission of this form (which does not bear the Start date as defined in the given business process).

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @zealvert

As stated above, required fields will not be required if they're hidden - they only appear as required if the form is showing them at the time of submission. Here's more information: Conditional logic behavior

For your second comment, this is a different scenario. Forms do not currently have a way of restricting date submissions. If the Date field is showing, the user can select any date from the dropdown, as you've found.

The logic on the form can show or hide other fields based on the date, but not change the value or restrict the value in the current field, does that make sense? What you're doing now (showing a header with an alert that the date is invalid) is exactly what I would suggest.

Please feel free to add your vote to this Product Enhancement Idea: Date Logic in Form

Cheers,

Genevieve

• zealvert
    zealvert ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks so much @Genevieve P. and @Tim C, for your valuable feedback!

Now I feel I can take it forward, albeit with some limitations.