New Workspace

Options
Sherry Fox
Sherry Fox ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 11/09/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I am helping a colleague convert her Shared Excel file (in SharePoint) to a Smartsheet project. We have the workspace set up, and 10 of the 20 sheets (in a folder). But here is the question, those 20 sheets (which are in a folder within the workspace called "QMS Entities"). And this user has a Master sheet, which she is the only one that enters data on. We will eventually set up workflows that copy data from her Master to all the files within the QMS Entities sheets. The issue is that the Master is for her ONLY. And she will have a contact list to share for those using the QMS Entities sheets. What would be best practices in this case? Can we give access to ONLY the QMS Entities folder rather than the Workspace? or is there something else? At this time we do not know if there will be reports, metrics, dashboards, etc. on this data. We would like to set it up correctly from the start. It is highly likely those additional sheets will be created, and the users doing the data entry, we do not want them to have access.

Sherry Fox

Project Analyst | Core Quality Services (QMS Transformation)

Medtronic

EAP | Mobilizer | Automagician | Superstar | Community Champion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sherryfox/

Answers

• Victoria K.
    Victoria K. ✭✭✭
    Options

My understanding is permissions can only be set at the Workspace level or Individual Resource (Sheet/Report/Dashboard) level. There is not a permissions setting at the folder level.

Our workaround has been to give access to each sheet individually as needed.

You can use groups in user administration to share a Workspace or Individual Resource to a consistent group. This can alleviate if you have a list of users who would need access to each sheet.

• Sherry Fox
    Sherry Fox ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Victoria K. ,

That is not what I wanted to hear! LOL. The issue is there are about 20 sheets in the QMS Entities folder, and each sheet will have 20-40 users (different users for each sheet. But we do not want any user except myself as the owner and the Admin to have access to the Master Sheet, is there anything we can do to share the workspace yet restrict access to the Master Sheet from all users other than Owner/Admins?

Sherry Fox

Medtronic

• Victoria K.
    Victoria K. ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Sherry,

Do you have to save the Master Sheet in the same workspace? Maybe create one Workspace: QMS Admin and another Workspace: QMS Entities.

• Sherry Fox
    Sherry Fox ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Victoria K. ,

That is a last resort. The primary user (admin) would prefer to keep everything for the project in the same location. I find it hard to believe, that we are the only ones that have encountered this challenge.

Sherry Fox

Medtronic