I have a single cell I want to auto-add the sum

Options

I have a cell that is for quantity of material used. Say I put in 3000. Tomorrow I want to put 2000, instead of manually adding it together to get 5000, how can I make that cell auto-add to get 5000 and not have to add it manually together.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Brendan W

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Brendan W
    Options

So the blank column (Quantity used) I want each cell to auto add, so if I put 3000 in it then type 2000 it auto-calculates to bring it to 5000.

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Where are you typing the 3000 and where are you typing the 2000, and where does the 5000 appear?

If we take the empty cell next to the 32800, you want to put 3000 in that cell, and then have the Remaining change to 29800. And then later you come in and change the 3000 to 2000 and when you hit the enter key, the number 2000 that you just typed, changes to 5000, and 29800 becomes 27800?

No, Smartsheet cannot do that. But if you explain what these numbers mean, we can probably help.

I would do something like this:

Behind the scenes:

Or collapse the formulas and do it with four fields:

=IF(COUNT(ANCESTORS([Primary Column]@row)) = 0, [Primary Column]@row - IF(COUNT(ANCESTORS([Primary Column]@row)) = 0, SUM(COLLECT([Primary Column]:[Primary Column], Parent:Parent, [Row ID]@row))))

• Brendan W
    Options

I want the Quantity Used to subject the Quantity remaining. But I wanted it all done in the same cell to auto add and then subject the from the Quantity and show the remaining balance.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Brendan W

Unfortunately, it's not possible without using helper columns, the Smartsheet API, or similar.

Make sense?

Would any of those options work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!