Email Addresses from Contacts

Is there a way to convert / extract the email address from the values in a column set up as a contact? I have a need for the email address associated with contacts.

Thanks

Answers

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Matt Galindo

There are three ways I know of. The first method is easy and recommended..😀

Method 1: Change a contact list column's property to text/number

Then, use the <email> part using the TEXT functions. The merit of this method is you get the email information of users not belonging to your organization.

Changed the Contact List column property to Text/Number

I changed the contact list column property back to the contact list.

Method 2: User List report

Go to the user management in Adamin Center and get the user list.

The demerit of this method is you get information only from users in your organization.

Method 3: Smartsheet API

Use the List Contacts or List Users method. Then, compare with the Contact List's name value.

https://smartsheet.redoc.ly/tag/contacts#operation/list-contacts

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi

There is not a way to automatically extract the email address from a contact type cell without an App or API.

However, if the list isn't changing too much, you can get the emails out manually without too much effort.

1. Create a new column (Text/Number type). In the example I have called this "Text Contact".
    2. Select the contacts you want to get email addresses for.
    3. Copy and paste them to the new column. The contacts will appear as  NAME <EMAIL>.
    4. Create another new column (Text/Number type).
    5. Use a formula like the one below to strip out everything except the email address.

=SUBSTITUTE(MID([Text Contact]@row, FIND("<", [Text Contact]@row) + 1, LEN([Text Contact]@row) - (FIND("<", [Text Contact]@row) + 1)), ">", "")

• Matt Galindo
    Matt Galindo ✭✭✭✭

Thank you both for these options. I'm sure one of these will work.

Matt

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!