"When rows are added" not triggering Update Request automation

I have setup a project intake process that allows the user to submit an Excel spreadsheet via Smartsheet Forms. Data Shuttle extracts the information out of the spreadsheet and adds to my Project Intake sheet. I want the department leader to be able to approve or decline the project and to assign a PM to it. I setup an automation to send a request to update the Approval column and the PM column once the new row is added. However, after several tests, I have not been able to trigger the automation. I have another automation to alert the department head of a new request using "When rows are added" as the trigger, and it works fine. Any ideas?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 12/01/23 Answer ✓

Hi @FrankM

Can I assume that your trigger for the Alert is based on content being added, versus a cell being blank?

When DataShuttle updates a row, it adds content to specific cells in that row. Even though the row is "added", blank cells aren't seen as being added to the sheet since nothing changed for those cells.

I'd recommend setting up you Update Request workflow to be triggered on the column that will always contain data, and then have conditions that look for the blank values:

Let me know if this works for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• PM_Reeves
    PM_Reeves ✭✭✭✭

Hi @FrankM ,

I had a very similar issue with a very similar process, but I hadn't Activated the new Automation. When I did my Inbox lit up like the 4th of July.

I thought I'd done everything, was careful to make sure the processes aligned and dependencies were all correct. Just hadn't 'ticked the box' as it were.

Things like Activation and Sharing get me frequently, that's why I use a Sandpit for testing.

Hope it's this simple, otherwise I'm stumped.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @FrankM

I hope you're well and safe!

Have you checked the Activity Log for clues?

Also, try to duplicate the Workflow, deactivate the first one, and see if that works.

Did that help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• FrankM
    FrankM ✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå,

Thank you for the response! I took your advice and duplicated the automation and deactivated the first. I got the same result.

The activity log shows the row being created. When I check the automation page, you can see that the "Notify of new row" automation ran as expected, but the "Template update request" did not. Screen shots below:

I am truly stumped. Thank you for helping me look into this!

Frank

• FrankM
    FrankM ✭✭✭

Hi @PM_Reeves,

Thank you for the comment! I have also been known to get bit by the small things. I double-checked to ensure the automation was active. I deactivated it, reactivated it, and the test results came out the same.

Thank you,

Frank

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@FrankM

Happy to help!

Are you sending it to yourself?

Have you checked your personal settings?

Ensure that you've checked the Sheet Change Notification Settings box to Include my changes in sheet notifications in your Personal Settings (circle/profile in the lower-left corner).

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• FrankM
    FrankM ✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå

I am sending it to myself for now (when everything is done, it will go to someone else). I did check my personal settings at they are all good:

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 12/01/23 Answer ✓

Hi @FrankM

Can I assume that your trigger for the Alert is based on content being added, versus a cell being blank?

When DataShuttle updates a row, it adds content to specific cells in that row. Even though the row is "added", blank cells aren't seen as being added to the sheet since nothing changed for those cells.

I'd recommend setting up you Update Request workflow to be triggered on the column that will always contain data, and then have conditions that look for the blank values:

Let me know if this works for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• FrankM
    FrankM ✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. this worked! I changed the trigger column to the customer name (which is always populated) and the automation worked as expected!

Thank you so much!

Frank