Do I really have to make the same change on every single one of my sheets separately?

Hi Folks - I'm pretty much a newbie to SS, but I have already created 20+ different sheets for each of my projects, using a template. Now, if I want to make a change to the structure of all the sheets (ie, change the name of a column, add an alert, or anything really!)… is there not a way to automatically make the same change to all 20+ sheets at once? Do I really have to go in to every single sheet and make that same edit manually? 😩

Best Answers

• Nic Larsen
    Nic Larsen ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Assuming all the sheets are the same except for a different title, you could just change one sheet and save as a template. Then save as new as many times as needed, renaming as you go. But there really isn't an automated way to make global updates across sheets outside of using the add-on Control Center app.

• AravindGP
    AravindGP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @DrJules

Yes, any structural change you need will need to be done manually in each sheet. Most of these can be automated if you've Control Center (which is an add-on to Smartsheet). Except for automation, things such as renaming columns, adding new columns, updating reports & dashboards, and add project metadata fields can be done automatically with the option of rolling up key data for Portfolio reporting can be done if you've Control Center.

Thanks,

Aravind GP| Principal Consultant

Atturra Data & Integration

M: +61493337445

E:Aravind.GP@atturra.com

W: www.atturra.com

Answers

• Nic Larsen
    Nic Larsen ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Assuming all the sheets are the same except for a different title, you could just change one sheet and save as a template. Then save as new as many times as needed, renaming as you go. But there really isn't an automated way to make global updates across sheets outside of using the add-on Control Center app.

• AravindGP
    AravindGP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @DrJules

Yes, any structural change you need will need to be done manually in each sheet. Most of these can be automated if you've Control Center (which is an add-on to Smartsheet). Except for automation, things such as renaming columns, adding new columns, updating reports & dashboards, and add project metadata fields can be done automatically with the option of rolling up key data for Portfolio reporting can be done if you've Control Center.

Thanks,

Aravind GP| Principal Consultant

Atturra Data & Integration

M: +61493337445

E:Aravind.GP@atturra.com

W: www.atturra.com

• DrJules
    DrJules ✭✭

Thank you both @Nic Larsen and @AravindGP! I was afraid you would say I need Control Center 🤔 No way my Manager is going to go for that additional cost… I guess I will just make do! I appreciate your time and expertise!