Help with a formula!

I have been using this formula in various sheets to have a specific date pulled, depending on if a certain field is blank or not. It has been working fine, but all the sudden is now throwing a "blocked, circular dependency error." Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attempting to check if the revised due date column is blank, to pull the due date. If the revised due date column is not blank to pull the revised due date.

=IF(ISBLANK([Revised Due Date]@row), [Due Date]@row, [Revised Due Date]@row)

Tags:

Answers

• Monique Odom-Stearn
    Monique Odom-Stearn ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Sam29,

A few follow-up questions for you:

Can you confirm if the column with the formula is set as a Date column?

Are either the Revised Due Date column or the Due Date column populated with a formula?

If my comment helped you, please help others by marking it as an accepted answer and consider helping me by clicking the 💡Insightful or ❤️Awesome buttons below!

Monique Odom-Stearn

Business Process Excellence Manager

Smartsheet Leader & Community Champion

Pronouns: She/Her (What’s this?)

“Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!” – Ms. Frizzle

• Sam29
    Sam29 ✭✭

Hi Monique,

Thank you for responding! Both are set up as date columns, as is the column I have the formula in. Neither column has a formula.

The strange thing is that the formula has worked in the past and is actively working in another one of my sheets with the same column properties. I have attempted to change the column I want to populate to a non-restricted date field and it still pulls a circular reference data error.

• Monique Odom-Stearn
    Monique Odom-Stearn ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Sam29, are you still receiving the error? If so, can you let me know the name of the column with the formula?

To confirm, we're discussing 3 columns here:

• Due Date (no formulas)
    • Revised Due Date (no formulas)
    • Column w/referenced formula giving error

If my comment helped you, please help others by marking it as an accepted answer and consider helping me by clicking the 💡Insightful or ❤️Awesome buttons below!

Monique Odom-Stearn

Business Process Excellence Manager

Smartsheet Leader & Community Champion

Pronouns: She/Her (What’s this?)

“Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!” – Ms. Frizzle

• Sam29
    Sam29 ✭✭

Hi Monique,

I ended up recreating the column and was able to fix it utilizing the exact same formula. I appreciate your help!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!