Can I reply from my outlook with an attachment, and it gets added to a row?

Options

Lets say I have and email auto response to someone. saying please add a pdf

Can they respond to the automation from their email with an attachment and it gets added to the row?

I know the smartsheet outlook app could do it but can I make it automatic?

Or is there anyway to auto add attachments to rows? Does an API have to do this?

Answers

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You cannot send an attachment in a reply to a conversation comment from Smartsheet, and have it get added to the row or even to the grid.

You can add attachments to rows (good for when an attachment is specific to that row) though in addition to adding them to the grid itself (when a file isn't specific to any single row, but more over-arching).

There are two ways to accomplish this.

1.) The row menu:

Hover over the row menu for any given row, and select the paperclip icon with the plus sign on it.

2.) The feature bar (smartsheet may have a different name for it, but that's what I call it):

First click anywhere within a row, so it's selected. Then click the paperclip icon on the feature bar. It's located on the right side of the grid. When the attachment fly-out appears, ensure Row is selected. Then you can drag your file into the drop zone, or click to upload and browse to your file.

Best of luck to you!

BRgds,

-Ray

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That attachment fly-out panel from the feature bar is the best way to look at all attachments in one place. You can select to see the sheet-level attachments, the row-level attachments, or all attachments in one list.

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can also create an Update Request Auomation (either at the row-level or in the Automations menu), and ask for/request an attachment.

An update request has an "Open request" button which opens a form and allows user to enter the requested data and/or files.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!