Contact not populating correctly in automated workflow?

This is a cosmetic issue only, but it’s important to the person being singled out.

I have a list of supervisors who get assigned when incidents are submitted. There’s an automated workflow that assigns the supervisor based on certain criteria. The assignment column has all the contacts with names and email addresses. However, one of the supervisors shows up in the automation list only as an email address. I’ve added her to my contacts and she’s listed in all the contact columns on various sheets with name and email. She’s shared to the sheet with name and email. She’s shared via a group and she’s in the group with name and email. But when I try to put her contact in the workflow to assign her, only her email comes up. I tried to add new from the workflow builder, but it won’t let me. I’m stumped.