Where do Workspace Attachments Go when Archived?

Options

When a project is archived via control center, where do the workspace attachments go when the workspace is deleted. Are the attachments also deleted?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @Samuel Mueller

This is a great question!

If your projects create a new workspace each time a project is provisioned, and if your archive action moves your projects to another workspace like this image:

Then the Smartsheet contents within the workspace (sheets, reports, dashboards) are moved to that other workspace and appear in a new folder.

However the attachments that were put on the Workspace level are deleted along with the Workspace it is converted to a folder. There's no equivalent place for the attachments to appear with the folder.

I would advise ensuring that those attachments are put on either Sheet or Row level locations instead of overall Workspace attachments.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/05/24
    Options

Hi Samuel,

Anything within a workspace that gets deleted also gets deleted. Same as in an operating system. If you delete a folder or drive, everything gets deleted. If you were archiving in the sense of moving to an archive area (possibly a workspace), then the attachments would follow.

All the best,

-Ray

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    edited 01/05/24
    Options

@Ray Lindstrom thank you for your response. Let me clarify, through control center when a project is archived, the contents within the project workspace can automatically be moved to a different folder to keep your data organized. When this happens, if there is nothing left in the workspace (sheets, reports, dashboards), control center will delete the workspace. I'm asking if it moves the attachments that someone may have added, or if it doesn't actually delete the workspace, or what actually happens.

I'm only referring to the attachments you can attach at the workspace level in this question:

The system may not delete the workspace if there are attachments here, I just wasn't sure and wondered if anyone knew what happens.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @Samuel Mueller

This is a great question!

If your projects create a new workspace each time a project is provisioned, and if your archive action moves your projects to another workspace like this image:

Then the Smartsheet contents within the workspace (sheets, reports, dashboards) are moved to that other workspace and appear in a new folder.

However the attachments that were put on the Workspace level are deleted along with the Workspace it is converted to a folder. There's no equivalent place for the attachments to appear with the folder.

I would advise ensuring that those attachments are put on either Sheet or Row level locations instead of overall Workspace attachments.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    Options

@Genevieve P. that was my suspicion. Thank you so much for the clarification! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.