Improved “message only” sheet change emails now generally available!

Options

Hi Community, 

You now have access to the new and improved message-only sheet change notification emails, i.e., those that do not contain any sheet links, attachments, comments, etc.!

These emails are now more easily scannable and provide additional context about the notification to the reader, such as displaying the sheet name and the primary column text alongside the message within the email. This is the first of multiple phases to modernize the look, feel, and usability of our sheet change notification. 

These updated emails are available to licensed users on all plan types.

Learn more about setting up sheet change notifications (alerts) in Smartsheet.

You can also stay informed by subscribing to receive product release updates for curated news of recently released product capabilities and enhancements for the platform of your choosing, delivered to your inbox. As new releases occur, you will receive a weekly email with news of what's released every Tuesday. 

Cheers,

Lekshmi Unnithan

Senior Product Marketing Manager

Product screenshots:

Old message-only sheet change email

New message-only sheet change email

Comments

• Simon Bamford
    Simon Bamford ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

This seems to be causing a workflow of ours a bit of an issue.

We have users fill in a form to make IT related changes and Smartsheet handles the approvals process. Once a request has been approved this is then sent to our Helpdesk software as an email. This email is then turned into a ticket that the helpdesk can work on.

Before it look like this:

It now looks like this:

The relevant information comes through below the last line and looks like it does in the first screenshot but now we get the HTML coming through as well. Is this something that can be fixed please.

The automation sends the message as message only and has only started today.

Thank you

• AClifford
    AClifford ✭✭✭
    Options

If you already have alert workflows set up, will the new look automatically go into effect, or will it only impact newly set-up alerts and reminders?

• Lekshmi Unnithan
    Options

Hi @Simon Bamford - let me share this with our product team. In the meantime, can you submit a support ticket so that we can track this?

• Lekshmi Unnithan
    Options

Hi @AClifford - the new look will automatically go into effect for existing workflows. Please note that this is only for "message-only" sheet change notification emails.

• Lekshmi Unnithan
    Options

Hi @Simon Bamford - This is what our Engineering team is saying: With the old format, it looks like your helpdesk software would parse through the first (and only) style block in notification email and skip it. However the new message-only sheet change notification email has two style blocks. So the helpdesk software is parsing through the first style block and skipping it, but it is unable to skip the second style block, which results in the additional HTML string being added to the ticket.

Unfortunately, we can't remove the additional style blocks as they are a part of our email enhancement efforts. We recommend you work with your IT/helpdesk team to update the software used to parse the email to be able to handle the additional styles.

If you have any additional questions, please be sure to submit a support ticket and share the ticket number with me so that I can connect you with someone on our team.

• Ella
    Ella ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Lekshmi Unnithan this is a good update, but it would have been great if this type of notification can include some fields from the sheet. So it would be message and selected fields included, no links to sheet, attachments, etc.

• leonastomenio
    leonastomenio ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Same suggestion with Ella. Most of our clients require tables or cell information but with no source tracker link. Although we could use the {{ }} sign, it is still an issue for long texts and hard to fix alignments.

Would be good if we could unselect or select what attachment to send, and what link we could provide (i.e. dashboard link). Food for thought for the next developments :)

• Lekshmi Unnithan
    Options

Hi @Ella - thanks for your feedback. Updates to the sheet change notification with links and sheet fields are part of the future phases of this release and are on our roadmap.

@leonastomenio - Thanks for your feedback. I'll share this with our team.

• khickman
    khickman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Looking forward to this feature!