Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Multiple Owners to add users to Smartsheet Groups

Options
Marc Shecter
Marc Shecter ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Problem: Currently, only one person, the owner of a Smartsheet Group, can add people to a group. This causes a delay for users seeking permissions to workspaces, sheets, etc.

The owner must remember to switch ownership to another person if they are going to be out of the office. Otherwise, users can't be added to the group in the owner's absence. In the case of a planned vacation, the owner may remember to switch ownership. In the case of illness or unexpected absence from work, the owner will likely not remember to make this change.

Solution: We need to remove the need for relying on human memory to make this change. Enhance Group management so that there are Owner and Admin roles. These Admins will have the ability to add and remove people from Groups but will not be able to delete, rename, or change the description of the groups.

53 votes

On Wishlist · Last Updated

Thank you for this idea! We are constantly thinking about ways to improve the ownership/admin process and appreciate your feedback when it comes to Groups. Please keep adding your comments and scenarios in the post below. In the meantime, System Admins for your plan have the ability to edit the membership of any Smartsheet group within that plan, which can be leveraged in cases where the group owner is not reachable.

Comments

• Melissa Bosi
    Melissa Bosi ✭✭✭✭
    Options

What is the point of a user being a Group Admin if they are unable to manage a group? The ability to add and remove users is only available to the user that created this group.

• Dani Tishler
    Options

We need to add Co-Owner status to groups, that way you are no longer relying on a single person.

• aamiva
    aamiva ✭✭
    edited 01/17/24
    Options

Allow more than 1 owner of a Group. This allows more flexibility in managing individual teams without having to elevate to a system admin.

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Fully agree, especially in large enterprises with large groups this role needs to be shared between multiple group admins. This way the sys admins get some relief from doing this too.

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• blmccue
    blmccue ✭✭
    Options

Do we know if there is an enhancement request to allow more than one sheet owner/co-owner?

• Melissa Bosi
    Melissa Bosi ✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/22/24
    Options

If not more than one owner, at least more than one Group Admin.

• caa
    caa ✭✭
    Options

I'm part of a large enterprise company and reaching out to the system administrators to help manage my team's groups isn't practical or efficient. Any group admin who has access to the group should be able to add/remove users. Better yet, allow the ability to designate admins for the group, including other groups!

• KSeeley
    KSeeley ✭✭
    Options

We also work in a large enterprise and having only one admin for a group is very restrictive. The current functionality results in people not having the access they need and causes delays that negatively impact productivity.

• Filip Teugels
    Options

Is there any update on this?

What if you create an admin group by entity (from smartsheet perspective auto create one for each of their customers) that has the right to create and update an "Entity Group Admin" that can set as an owner of group management. This will alow us to have a team of people that can at any time update the groups as needed.

A kind of group in group hiërarchie.

• John Loy
    Options

I totally agree with the community request here that an enhancement should be prioritized within Smartsheet Group management to allow the concept of "group co-owners" to effectively share the responsibility of adding/removing users to/from groups. Single threading this responsibility through a single individual is causing delay when I'm in the office and inability to provide essential access when I'm out of office.

• WhatsYourSign
    edited 07/22/24
    Options

I agree. I just started using it a few months ago and now I have to bug my company's IT Admin to deal with my group (because he was the owner who made it) but really any group should be able to have a different admin, or multiple admins. What if the group owner goes on vacation? Or the group owner leaves the company?

• Ute
    Ute ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I fully agree. This request needs to be a priority for Smartsheet!