How to capture the value (end result) of a formula for use in other processes

Options

I've got formulas that return a result of a specific number depending on different keywords in certain cells on the spreadsheet. That's fine - they all work great! My problem is that I'd like to use those numbers (the end result) in other spaces in order to calculate totals for certain programs, by month and by year. But when I create a report that pulls info from those columns with the formulas and use the "Summarize" option, those that included amounts that were the result of formulas are all zero.

Is there any way to capture the numbers that I'm getting as a result of the formulas to use in other reports? Or does the fact that those cells have formulas in them mean that I can't separate out the value that is there and use that info elsewhere?

Answers

• Alyce R.
    Options

I solved it by using the VALUE function, but the only issue I'm seeing now is that some of my formulas need to return either text or an amount, and I'm not sure how I get around that, so I may have to rethink what we're doing there.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Alyce R.

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!