Send Notification on New Value in Dropdown

I have a sheet with a dropdown list field where "Restrict to list values only" is off. Is there a way to set up a Workflow that always triggers when a value not currently in the list is entered?

I know you can create a condition for the field "where <field> is not one of" and select all of the current values but the workflow would need to be updated every time a new value is entered. I am looking for a way to set up the condition that would not require the workflow condition to be updated.

I plan to use Data Shuttle to keep the dropdown list options up to date.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @rsimmons

I hope you're well and safe!

If you use Data Shuttle, you could have a cross-sheet lookup and a helper column to indicate if it's not a match, and that would trigger the Alert.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Please ignore the sentence about Data Shuttle, that was a mistake. This question is about Workflows, not Data Shuttle. Thank you @Andrée Starå.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@rsimmons

Happy to help!

Another option would be to do something similar to what we would do if we had a Data Shuttle.

Try something like this.

1. Create a helper sheet where you list the different options.
    2. Add a column for which we would use an index/match formula to check against the value submitted in the form.
    3. If the value doesn't have a match
    4. Add a workflow that would trigger if there's not a match and copy the row to the helper sheet, so we add the new value to the list to check

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.