INDEX MATCH is matching same values to everything

Options

Good morning all, I'm having some issues with this INDEX MATCH, that are really stumping me. Here is my formula: =INDEX({NE INVOICES Range 4}, MATCH([PO#]@row, {NE INVOICES Range 1}))

And here is what I'm getting:

This would normally be fine, as those PO's don't exist on my source (Here is the source sheet)

The issue is as this column formula goes on I get this happening:

It's putting in information from my source sheet, but those PO's done exist to match on the source sheet. I have no idea why it is doing this, as that same formula works on other sheets.

Tags:

Best Answer

• heyjay
    heyjay ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    =INDEX({NE INVOICES Range 4}, 
    MATCH([PO#]@row, {NE INVOICES Range 1},0))

Looks like you are missing the last arguement in the MATCH function. Its optional but it makes a lot of difference.

MATCH(search_value, range, [search_type])

search_type—[optional] The default is 1. The manner in which to search, depending on whether the range is sorted ascending (1), not sorted (0), or sorted descending (-1).

Answers

• heyjay
    heyjay ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    =INDEX({NE INVOICES Range 4}, 
    MATCH([PO#]@row, {NE INVOICES Range 1},0))

Looks like you are missing the last arguement in the MATCH function. Its optional but it makes a lot of difference.

MATCH(search_value, range, [search_type])

search_type—[optional] The default is 1. The manner in which to search, depending on whether the range is sorted ascending (1), not sorted (0), or sorted descending (-1).

• Cidniz
    Cidniz ✭✭✭
    edited 02/02/24
    Options

That seems to have fixed it. Not sure why really. I don't have the 0 in other formulas and it returns the correct information. But it does work and I thank you very much for the help.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!