How to Format Date-dependent Color-changing Cells (3 total columns)

Options
BMauney
BMauney
edited 02/15/24 in Formulas and Functions

I need to create a Smartsheet for tracking documents, the date of last review and a color changing column reflecting the date of next review.

In column A I need to list the document names.

In column B I need to list the date of last review. 

I need help to format column C cells.

1. I need for Column C to populate a date that is 2 years or 24 months from column B's date. 

2. Then, when the date in column C cell is 2 years minus 30 days (or 23 months), I need the date to turn yellow for the entirety of those 30 days. (Meaning, I need column C to turn yellow for the entire 23rd month/2 years-30 days.) This is to help us track that we are within a 30 day window, and the document needs review.

3. When the date in column C reaches and passes or is >= 2 years, I need the cell to turn red.

When the date in Column B is updated (as in, the document is reviewed), I need the cell to go back to it's original state, with no color.

****** I NEED THE DATE TO TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION LEAP YEARS/REAL CALENDAR ********

Example:

A B C

Document 1 1/31/2021 1/31/2023 (RED) -past 24 months

Document 2 3/3/2023 3/03/2025 (NO COLOR) -under 23months

Document 3 3/1/2022 3/01/2024 (YELLOW) -ENTIRETY of time between 23-24 months

How do I do this?

Best Answer

• BMauney
    BMauney
    Answer ✓
    Options

I finally figured out how to apply the data you gave me to make the correct color display at the right times.

Here is what I ended up with:

Formula:

Conditional formatting:

One key tip was to ensure the most important priority rule was at the top, which I kept forgetting to do.

Also, making sure my titles were correct, without a single error/misspelling and matched upper or lower cases. I did "Last reviewed," and "Last Reviewed" and was getting incorrect information.

This is how new to Smartsheet I am.

Thank you for all of your help!

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!