Hyperlinks / Update Requests

Options
Erin Kim
Erin Kim ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I currently have a workflow in place with a update request being send out with helpful hyperlinks with instructions for my users to view prior to checking off and item as complete. The issue is the hyperlink only works within outlook, the hyperlink functionally goes away when the user clicks on "open update request" to work their requests in a browser vs in outlook. Is this expected or are we not set up right?

in Outlook, functions

In browser, does not function

I have a plan B build with dynamic view, but hoping for ease of use to use only the update request .

Thanks!

Best Answer

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/08/24 Answer ✓
    Options

@Erin Kim

I guess my point was that you can't get a hyperlink within the browser through an update request. You can through a form because you can specify that the value is a hyperlink. I used multiple examples of the possible ways, but there are none that work.

There is no column for a hyperlink type variable, therefore an update request with a hyperlink isn't possible.

Hyperlinks are contained within Text/Number columns. The only "updates" you can make is with Text and Numbers, no hyperlinks.

To sum it up, you can change the URL through an update request, but you cannot use the link itself.

Answers

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/07/24
    Options

Hello @Erin Kim

The update requests operate depending on what the column properties are set to. If the column is Text/Number, then that's how the software will let you update entries. Even when using HTML code (example 3)

Update Request 1:

Outlook 1:

-----

Update Request 2:

Outlook 2:

-----

Update Request 3:

Outlook 3:

• Erin Kim
    Erin Kim ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@MichaelTCA Thanks for the feedback. I still am unsure how to make the link clickable within the browser update request window. I can see what you have mentioned above within Outlook but when the user clicks to open the update request it pops open a new browser window with the update request fields but the hyperlinks are unable to be clicked.

• Erin Kim
    Erin Kim ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Andrée Starå Any other suggestions for this?

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/08/24 Answer ✓
    Options

@Erin Kim

I guess my point was that you can't get a hyperlink within the browser through an update request. You can through a form because you can specify that the value is a hyperlink. I used multiple examples of the possible ways, but there are none that work.

There is no column for a hyperlink type variable, therefore an update request with a hyperlink isn't possible.

Hyperlinks are contained within Text/Number columns. The only "updates" you can make is with Text and Numbers, no hyperlinks.

To sum it up, you can change the URL through an update request, but you cannot use the link itself.

• AlexisW
    Options

Thanks for the question. I have the same issue. Can we get the ability to set a column type to a hyperlink so that we can do this? If not, how can we get it on the backlog for the future?

Thanks,

Alexis