Automations copied over to a new "Saved as New" smartsheet affect the original smartsheet?

I have a Smartsheet that has a lot of workflows enabled. I created a backup version of this Smartsheet and this new Smartsheet has automations carried over from the original smartsheet.

I'm trying to determine whether automations in the new smartsheet affect the original smartsheet in any way. As in, if changes are made in the original smartsheet, will the automations in the new smartsheet get triggered.

Following post leads me to believe they are still linked to the old smartsheet and they do get triggered :

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/93482/save-as-new-sheets-automations-are-linked-to-the-original-sheets-rather-than-the-new-ones-created

There are some unaccounted for changes being made in the original smartsheet and looking at the history of the cells they seem to be done through a Smartsheet automation. The workflows of the original smartsheet cannot make these unaccounted changes as they were recently updated with new logic.

I'm wondering if the automations of the new smartsheet are linked to the old smartsheet and are getting triggered. Can anyone confirm this?

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @smrtsht_user85

I hope you're well and safe!

No, the automation isn't connected, but if the sheet is connected to another, it could trigger them depending on what it is. I'd recommend deactivating the workflows that could trigger.

Make sense?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers