When putting a single entry form link in a cell the should the form become reloadable?

Options
Mark Rojas
Mark Rojas ✭✭✭
edited 02/15/24 in Smartsheet Basics

When creating a form you can select to either reload the form or display a message. I have my form set to display a message. Along with that I use URL query strings to prefill default values on the form within hidden fields so we always have a correct paper trail to what the form was submitted for (ex Project Number). However when you insert the link for the form in a cell on a grid to be used in a notification, the form suddenly does not close/lock after being submitted. Is there some sort of change that occurs to the URL when it is on a grid? Has anyone else run into this issue?

~MR

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Mark Rojas

Forms will retain the same setting, "what should happen after the form is submitted", whether that form is clicked on through an email, in a grid of a sheet, or any other way. However keep in mind that each click of the URL is a "new" entry, so the form will open up again for a submission.

The Form Submission settings are only for when the URL has ?confirm=true at the end, when it has been submitted. Does that make sense?

If you're seeing something else, where the form URL clicked from a notification enables multiple entries, can you check to ensure the form URL in the email is the correct one?

Thanks,

Genevieve

• Mark Rojas
    Mark Rojas ✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P.

Thank you for your response, could you give an example of how the ?confirm=true syntax should be set up? From my understanding the basic syntax is:

="Link?Value_Name=" + [Value_Name]@row + "&Value_Number=" + [Value_Number]@row

Do you put the confirm true before the first field being prefilled?

~MR

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Mark Rojas

My apologies for not being clear. The ?confirm=true only appears after a form has been submitted.

So if this is my form:

Then after I've filled it out and hit Submit, the action you select in the form settings for what to do will happen. If you have it display a confirmation message, then that message is displayed on the same form URL but with ?confirm=true at the end to indicate that the form has been submitted.

If you have used a formula to pre-fill values on the form by adding them to the initial URL:

Then after the form has been submitted, it will default to the original, base URL with ?confirm=true at the end because the data has been submitted. Notice here that there are no default values listed:

Someone can simply remove out those words from the URL to see the original form without any default values applied and submit the form again.

If this hasn't helped, can you explain your scenario and what it is you're looking to do? I'm wondering if an Update Request is more what you're looking for - to update a current row and have the form become inaccessible after one entry.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Mark Rojas
    Mark Rojas ✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P.

I understand now, and yes we are getting the ?confirm=true. I ended talking with @Alexander Ford and he explained that as long as someone has the link they can resubmit. I was under the impression that since you could set a form to be reloadable that the standard link was onetime use (That is not the case). I am currently combating multiple submissions by catching duplicates and finding the earliest submission based of an auto-number since running off Created column can be tricky if they submit quickly for a second entry. Then I pass those records to a holding sheet and now I am working to get the records deleted using the API. (Fingers crossed for a native delete automation)

~MR

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Mark Rojas

Yes exactly - the form settings are for what happens after the form is submitted, but there is no restriction on the number of times a form URL can be clicked on and used.

Please feel free to vote on this related Product Idea to let the Product team know about your feature request: Restrict the ability for users to submit multiple responses to a form

I would suggest that instead of a Form, you could set up a Contact Column to list all the recipients down one column. Then use an Update Request to ask them to fill out their respective row. This will limit their response to only a single row, and they will not be able to use the update request for a second time after it has been submitted. Here's more information: Update Requests & Request updates with workflows

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Mark Rojas
    Mark Rojas ✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P.

I wish I could but the contact is an unknown and setting up an initial form to collect contact data puts me back in the loop so to speak.

~MR