WEEKNUMBER function doesn't seem to be updating promptly?

Hi,

I am using the following formula to populate a checkbox called "this week?" if a fitting is scheduled to take place this week:

=IF(AND(YEAR(TODAY()) = YEAR([EXPECT FITTING DATE]@row), WEEKNUMBER(TODAY()) = WEEKNUMBER([EXPECT FITTING DATE]@row)), 1, 0)

I'm using the checkbox to filter a report so the user can see what fittings are scheduled for the current week.

The formula seems to work fine 99% of the time, but on Monday mornings when the user checks the report around 8:30 or 8:45am EST the report still shows the previous week's fittings. When she tries again a little later it usually updates.

I thought maybe the week number switched over at 9:00am, but that doesn't seem to be the case, because on this day she got the wrong week when she checked at 8:36am, but the correct week when she checked at 8:50am.

Any ideas why this could be happening?

Thanks!!

Answers

• Ryan Kramer
    Ryan Kramer ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/13/24

Hi,

Based on the information provided, it seems like the issue might be related to the time zone settings in the Smartsheet account or the formula itself.

Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check Time Zone Settings: Make sure that the time zone settings in the Smartsheet account and the user's computer or device are correctly set to the same time zone (EST).
    2. Verify Formula: Double-check the formula to ensure there are no errors. The formula you shared appears to be correct, but it's always good to review it for any syntax mistakes or missing parentheses.
    3. Test with Different Times: As the issue seems to occur specifically on Monday mornings, try testing the formula at different times throughout the day to see if there are any inconsistencies in the results. This will help identify if there is a specific time window where the formula is not working correctly

Best regards,

Ryan Kramer

Have you backed up your solution lately? https://www.smartsheetbackups.com/

• Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your response.

I did follow your suggestions and check the time zone settings, the formula, and different times.

Everything looks to be set to eastern time on my computer and the user's computer, I can't find any errors in the formula, and we have looked at the report at various times throughout the week and haven't found any inconsistencies except on Monday mornings.

Do you have any other ideas of what we could try looking into next?

Thanks!

Liz

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Liz

Is your formula in a sheet column or on the summary pane? I recall some users experiencing issues with the TODAY function not automatically updating when in the summary pane (the was in the fall last year).

• Hi,

My formula is in a sheet column.

But we're noticing the problem in a report that is filtered by the column, not the sheet itself.

I haven't actually checked to see if the column is updating and it's just the report that has the lag or if it's both places. I will check on that next Monday.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!