Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Automated email with link to particular row

Options

We use SS for project management. When a task needs to be handed off to a new person (the next step in the project) we set up an automated email that lets them know. Unfortunately, there is no way to include a link to the particular project row in the email. The email only includes a link to the entire spreadsheet.

Our current workaround has been to tag the user in a comment, which does send them an email w/ a link to the row. This is not ideal as it causes 2 emails to be sent every time a project is handed off to a new staff person.

6 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• spauliszyn
    spauliszyn ✭✭✭
    Options

The same can be said for sending approvals. The email has a link to the entire sheet and not the specific row that needs to be approved. Kind'a complicated when the approver has to do a search or set up a filter for the ID number or something like that.

Should be a temporary filter specific to the notification or approval request. When they navigate away the filter is lost but they can get it again by clicking the link in the email

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    edited 02/14/24
    Options

@3djeff this is currently possible sort of.. it's not perfect (like if you are in a workapps). However, I agree with adding it built into an automation, that would be nice. You could implement a process to copy this link into a column and send that with the automation, or if you have Bridge you could automate this:

This is what the link looks like : https://app.smartsheet.com/sheets/5mPfP6Xxxxxxxxx8mrfgQ9F1?rowId=3206887172990852

• 3djeff
    3djeff ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for sharing. What I'm not clear on is how to 'implement a process to copy this link into a column and send that with the automation'. I see where you can get the row link (as shown in your screenshot), but can't figure out how to pass on that to a new column.

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    Options

@3djeff without the use of the API or Bridge, you would have to manually copy this url into the sheet, from there you can include it in an automation. So when I said 'implement a process to copy this link into a column and send that with the automation' I meant manually copy the row link and paste it into the cell prior to the automation firing.