How to hide child rows with a filter when a parent row is checked.

I have a filter set so that if this task complete box is checked, then the row is hidden. Is there a way to make it so that if the parent row is checked, then the child rows hide as well? Right now when a parent row is checked, only the parent row is hidden.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Kelly Moore I think we need to check the child rows when the parent row is checked.

@Alicia D If that is correct, insert a helper checkbox column and use this column formula:

=IF(OR([Task Done]@row = 1, COUNTIFS(ANCESTORS([Task Done]@row), @cell = 1)> 0), 1)

Then filter on this new column. This will allow you to manually check off any row and have it removed with the filter or check off just a parent row and have all descendant rows removed with the filter.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Alicia D

As you've found, there is not a checkbox to easily filter Child rows. One option for a work-around is to add a helper column that brings that brings the Parent Name into each row. You can then easily filter on that helper column.

The helper column formula is (assuming one level of parents)

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN())>0, Tasks@row,PARENT(Tasks@row))

Will this work for you? If you have multiple parent levels, the formula can be modified to include hierarchical levels of the parent.

Kelly

• Alicia D
    Alicia D ✭✭✭✭

@Kelly Moore , thank you for the information! Here is what happened when I use that formula. Although, I still don't know how to set the filter to hide all of the rows under a parent row once a parent row is checked.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Alicia D

From the small sampling of rows in the screenshot, it appears the formula is working as written. The Parent Task is now duplicated for itself, and written on all the children rows.

Set the filter to filter the Helper row and select the row you want filtered, or excluded, depending on how your filter is set. The Parent and all the children will be filtered together.

Am I misunderstanding what you want to do?

Kelly

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Kelly Moore I think we need to check the child rows when the parent row is checked.

@Alicia D If that is correct, insert a helper checkbox column and use this column formula:

=IF(OR([Task Done]@row = 1, COUNTIFS(ANCESTORS([Task Done]@row), @cell = 1)> 0), 1)

Then filter on this new column. This will allow you to manually check off any row and have it removed with the filter or check off just a parent row and have all descendant rows removed with the filter.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Alicia D
    Alicia D ✭✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome , that worked, thank you!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

10xViz.com