Can a Workflow be triggered by the contents of a specific cell? (Specific column and row.)

Can a workflow be triggered based on a change to a specific smartsheet cell? (Specific cell = specific row and specific column.) I do already understand how to create workflow for changes to a field that covers changes to any row where that column is changed.

Example: Project Plan sheet. One row in my project plan lists a Go Live event and date. I would like to trigger a workflow message to be sent any time that the go live date changes.

Answers

• DKazatsky2
    DKazatsky2 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Bob Kelly,

There is not inherently a way to do what you are asking. Having said that, there is a workaround that can solve this.

Create a "helper" column that is a checkbox. e.g. "Go Live? (helper)" and check it in the row with your go live information.

For automation, do something like what is in this image. Not the "Date" column I use should be the column you are looking for the change in.

Hope this helps,

Dave

• Yes Dave, this certainly is very helpful. Sounds like it will do exactly what I need. Thank you so much. :-)